Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Scott12345

Backer Rod for 1/8" movement joint

Hi, I've just finished grouting a 16' by 25' space with Mapei Flexcolor CQ. 12" by 24" tiles over Ditra with 1/8 inch grout lines. Schluter recommends a surface joint to break up spaces over 20'. I did not install a Schluter movement profile but left a grout line mid-field ungrouted and will caulk with Mapesil-T.

I have seen that the caulk is only supposed to make contact with the edges of the tiles and not with the bottom of the grout line. I cannot find backer rod this small at local shops. 3/8" is the smallest available and given that a 1/8" movement joint is the bare minimum I want whatever I use to be flexible as possible and not to be jammed in tight.

Grainger carries several types of 1/8" rubber cord: Buna-N Rubber cord, Neoprene Rubber cord, Silicone Rubber cord, EPDM Rubber cord. Will one of these work? Or is there a source for backer rod that I'm missing?

Thanks! Scott
Unread 09-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Scott,

I usually don't use backer rod for tile floor joints. I don't know how thick your tiles are or how much thinset is in the bottom of the joint, but I would just caulk it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Scott12345

Hi John,
Thanks for the quick reply! It's porcelain about 3/8" thick and the grout line is about 1/2 inch deep.

I was looking at the liberry post on expansion joints which is why I was asking about backer rod. In the post however the author mentions having sealant be at a depth that is equal to half the width of the joint which in my case would end up being 1/16" of silicone. That doesn't seen right... I'll poke around the internet a bit longer to see if can find small backer rod as I only have two tubes of Mapesil T.

Scott
Unread 09-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Been a long time but we used to order a roll of pencil rod, which is 3/16 at the local masonry shop. Never was able to find small amounts.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
Radas
Tile Newbie

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I've used screen spline for 1/8" movement joints under silicone with successful results.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
In the post however the author mentions having sealant be at a depth that is equal to half the width of the joint...
Yeah, Scott, technically this is what the ideal caulked joint should look like:

Name:  Caulking Bead.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  33.3 KB

Commonly a fella just tries to get as close to this as he can.

Ali is going straight to Hell for using screen spline as backer rod! Primarily that's because I never thought of it. If it'll fit in the joint and if your chosen grout won't stick to it, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, even being ridged like most of it seems to be. Possible if you're careful you could even get it down into your joint only far enough to approximate a "perfect" bead profile or at least you might get a lot closer than just caulking the joint full.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
Radas
Tile Newbie

Hahaha CX, definitely not my first choice but the only damn thing at Home Depot that was flexible and fit a .12" joint. The stuff I bought was $3 and also had a hollow center with some decent "give" to it. Figured it'd do just fine between Schluter Schiene and hardwood flooring.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Scott12345

Thanks everybody! I'll give the screen spline a shot. As the gap is 1/2" deep I figure I can get two or three layers of of screen spline in before the silicone. Or perhaps like CX mentioned just one will have enough friction to hold in place.

I did find an online source for backer rod although the smallest they carry is 1/4". https://www.bestmaterials.com/Backer_Rod.aspx
Unread 09-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
SpaceCadet

Get some sill plate gasket at home depot and cut narrow ribbons of it to fit in the joints. It's about 1/8 in thick.
Unread 09-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Get some sill plate gasket at home depot and cut narrow ribbons of it to fit in the joints.
You want the profile to be round to get the hour glass shape to the caulked joint. Cutting strips from a flat sheet would be flat...not ideal.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #11
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I had zero luck finding small diameter foam backer that didn't come in a 500 foot roll.

The screen spline is genius.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
speed51133

https://www.zoro.com/e-james-rubber-...YaAhHJEALw_wcB

Here is 1/8in neoprene.

Will the 1/4in backer not compress? I have used it in saw cuts in concrete no problem. Those are about 1/8in. Just press it in with a flat screwdriver.

I also found EDPM foam (closed cell) here in 1/8in. That should be a home run: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...caAuD-EALw_wcB
Unread 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

That first link sounds much like Ali's screen spline material, Mike, but maybe even harder. At a Shore A hardness of 70 I don't think it's gonna have much give when putting it in a grout joint. But if the size were right for the application, I can see it working fine.

The second link sounds like exactly what most of us have not been able to find. At thirty-something cents per foot it's a lot more expensive than the hard stuff in the first link, but would certainly be easier to get into joints that were a bit tight.

Good information.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
speed51133

https://www.mcmaster.com/epdm-cords/...dm-foam-cords/

half the price

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase