Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #1
brooks_erin1

Is this a bad tile job??

Hi there! So I'm having my bathroom tiled right now and I'm not super happy with the work so far. I've never hired out for a tile job before so I have no clue what a "professional" tile install should look like. I'm just trying to see if I'm being too picky or if the work is not quality. What I see wrong are uneven grout line, gaps being filled with extra grout, the tile on the window isn't flat, it just looks sloppy to me. Also if it isn't good work what should I do?? I was thinking about negotiating the price because this guy quoted my around $1,500 for the install. Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 08-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Erin, welcome. My guess is he may not have very much experience or either he doesn't have an eye for detail, or both. I've seen worse looking jobs but it's certainly not the best. Hex tiles are not easy to install and using a contrasting color grout just highlights all the crooked tiles. In my opinion, it would have looked better with a light colored grout.

He should have known that the tile work would need to be nearly perfect since a contrasting grout would be used. If the haze was left on too long, it might be hard to remove.

Tell us more about the job. Is this a shower or tub surround? What materials did he use? How long did it take him?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
brooks_erin1

Hey Davy, thanks for the response! He left for today and left all the haze on the tile. Should I try to scrub it off myself? It's a tub surround. It took him about 2 days to finsih up the hex tiles. And I noticed he didn't use spacers or anything to make sure the grout lines were even. He used versabond thinset and polyblend sanded grout.
Unread 08-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Erin.

No, you should absolutely not try to clean the tile. When it appears he thinks he's finished with the job, make known to him that you're not satisfied with the result if that's the case.

Some of those mounted mosaic tiles are poorly mounted and very difficult to install properly, 'specially for those without a lot of experience with them. But if he found them to be poorly mounted he should have brought that to your attention prior to setting them and discussed the ramifications. Especially considering the highly contrasting grout the I presume you selected.

Are those edges around the window the finished product, or is there more to be done there?

Is any of this in a wet area?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
brooks_erin1

Thanks for the reply CX! Yeah, I would have really appreciated it if he would have just said he wasn't comfortable working with these tiles. There's still tile that needs to go in around the window so no it's not finished. But when I put up the tiles that will go there there's quite a few large gaps where the tile wasn't cut straight. It is in a wet area, a tub surround.
Unread 08-26-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Erin, since it is a wet area can you speak to how much water gets on that window during a shower in your experience? Aside from the sub par tiling we so far see, another concern is what sort of water proofing was applied to the window surround. Is the sill sloped towards the drain?

If the window never gets wet maybe a lack of waterproofing won't be a problem. If it does get wet, well....
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

To all else I add I have never done a white tile black grout job without getting a complaint about something. There are some legitimate concerns here, just saying.....
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
brooks_erin1

So I talked to the guy that did it and he said he wasn't super pleased with this work either and if we wanted he was willing to redo the whole thing for no extra cost (which I really appreciate). I would be eating about $500 in materials but I am thinking about having him do it so it's done correctly. I'm now just wondering if I should pay him extra to redo it because he has put about 20 hours into the job so far and don't want to take away from all the work he's done.
Thanks for all the advice so far!
Unread 08-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Interesting he agreed that it's not so great. He gets points for that.

Ideally a re-do shouldn't cost you a dime since you are not responsible for the lack luster job. But, if the choice is to A) live with it as is and be forever dissatisfied or B) bring in someone else to re-do it at a significantly higher cost, maybe 500.00 isn't too large a pill to swallow.

But hold on. It's not likely just a matter of removing all that tile and installing new tile. When the tile is removed it is likely to damage whatever substrate the tile is adhered to and any water proofing he may have done.

Do you know any of those details, Erin? Substrate, water proofing, etc?

In short, and IMO, you should develop a solid plan with this guy so you understand the details and he can work towards implementing them. How to deal with that window for instance.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
brooks_erin1

Yes, we talked about ripping it all out and starting from scratch. He put in durock backer board and sealed it with red guard. I'm pretty sure he did an okay job waterproofing it but I haven't talked to him about the window yet.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase