Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
MIKESCOTTMTL

Moisture Sensitive, Engineered Terrazzo Tile with Ditra heat - Can this combo work?

Does anyone have any experience installing impervious, engineered tile over ditra heat? I have been told these engineered tiles are moisture sensitive so I am unsure which mortar to use or if there is any way to install them over ditra heat.
Unread 07-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

How did it go with obtaining info from the manufacturer? Still no joy?

It’s not that we aren’t experienced or that we are answering generically. It’s that we understand that the finest source of info for these apparently special tiles is the manufacturer who is likely the only one on earth that has tested the tiles in any way.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
MIKESCOTTMTL

Absolutely no luck! Spoke to everyone at Ciot and they will not give me any info. Neither pro counter nor sales reps. So frustrating. Can’t even tell me the manufacturer! It’s like it’s some big secret! Maybe it’s because they are part of their new signature collection?

I thought I was getting somewhere with the third sales rep but then he emailed me a link to their own Ciot webpage. Again, it had no data whatsoever.

The tile is completely impervious. I tested it out with a few droplets of water that haven’t been absorbed for days. The tiles are like slabs of quartz. I just can’t see how thinset would cure under them.

Last edited by MIKESCOTTMTL; 07-22-2020 at 06:56 AM.
MIKESCOTTMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
MIKESCOTTMTL

Here are some photos
Attached Images

Unread 07-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
call one of the setting material Company's .Laticrete,Mapei,Custom,Tec,Bostic,Bonsal,Ardex,Schluter,ETC and ask them about the bond. They may suggest a Rapid Setting Thin Set Mortar ,but ask them its their bonding agent.
I would call Schluter since its also their membrane!
Unread 07-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

The recommendation for bonding material varies from manufacturer-to-manufacturer with these engineered tiles. Some of them suggest rapid-setting cement, some are epoxy only. It’s a shame the distributor can’t get you pointed towards the info you need, because you do in fact need it to select the proper materials.

I’m not sure if you have purchased the material or not yet, but I would consider moving towards a different product if you can’t get in touch with the actual tile manufacturer.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I second Holden's recommendation and have an extensive claims history on "engineered" tile.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

For cement to cure, it does not need to dry...curing is a chemical reaction, not a drying process. But, there are some modifiers that will not attain their stability if they do not dry. A rapid setting mortar, if it bonds, does not need to dry, and there are others that can do that as well. But, without information on the manufacturer's recommended adhesive, (i.e., not knowing if there are any sealers, coatings, etc. on the tile), ensuring a long-term bond is unknown.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
MIKESCOTTMTL

Thanks for all the input. It’s unfortunate but I think I’m ready to walk away from the tile now.

I appreciate all your responses.
Unread 07-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase