Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #16
Dave Gobis
da Man!

In addition to what has been offered here I would add that the sealer you are going to use is likely going to exacerbate the problem. The way your shower is set up the Durock is the form board with waterproofing behind it. That will force the migrating moisture (Durock has a moisture absorption rate of between 15-20%} that wicks out of the mortar up the wall in the marble which can't breathe because it has waterproofing on one side and sealer on the other. The result will be a watermark at the bottom of your shower that won't go away. I don't promise this will be the outcome but having analyzing failures the last 22 years after installing for the previous 28, that is my opinion. I have several gigabytes of pictures to support it.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
stephenson

I installed a marble shower about six years ago.

It looked fabulous. Seriously beautiful.

Then we started using it ... marble stayed wet-gray on the floor and the walls to about two feet - really awful looking.

Save the marble for outside the shower.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

One thing you can do if you find your stone darkens...while maybe not ideal, you can usually even it out (after you let things dry - might take a long time!) is to use an enhancing sealer on it. I ended up doing that to some granite that I noticed changed color while the thinset was curing...I liked the look of it as it made the whole thing a more intense color. Some stone won't absorb much of anything, some will. It's always best to know beforehand during the tile selection stage than afterwards, when there's not as many options.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #19
jerrymlr1

In post #8 at the bottom of the picture it looks like the curb top has Durock with screws thru it. I'm betting that bench on the right has similar problems.
Unread 07-17-2020, 09:51 PM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, Jerry, Dan asked him about the curb back in post #9. The OP hasn't been back since he made that post #8. I think he didn't wanna hear any more about his contractor's work.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Around these parts, nailing CBU on the curb and seat has been the norm for most installers for a while. It's cheap and fast and they know it'll last a few years, by then they're long gone. It's incredible what we are tearing out these days.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #22
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Depressing is more my feeling Davy. Tile has gone from a troweling trade to roller or spray. Unless you are a skilled Foamy......
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase