Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
jalbano

Self Leveling

Hi all,

I have a question about pitching self leveling to drains. I've been in the tile business for 28 years please don't judge as most of my career I have always use screed. We just landed a job that will not accept screed because the owners and GC consulted with Mapei and of course they recommended their product. The space is over 5000 sf and there several drains and also three openings to the street that are different elevations. This is a restaurant chain an are difficult to deal with. I can't imagine how to pitch self leveling.

Everyday I learn something..
Any advice is appreciated.
Unread 02-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Mapei and maybe others, make a version of SLC that is thixotropic...basically, it moves when you agitate it, but stays where it is after you stop. So, you can build slopes with it. Lots more expensive than a mud bed.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I would go back and point out any manufacturer is obviously going to promote their product. I shudder to think about the price difference between a bag product and a pile of sand. I would take that call.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jerry.

A geographic location in your User Profile would be helpful.

If by "screed" you mean deck mud or dry-pac, the product MAPEI is recommending is likely their 4 to 1 Mud Bed Mix rather than any sort of self-leveling product. While that would certainly work, I gotta agree with Dave that the cost difference between that MAPEI product and a sand/Portland mix is gonna be dramatic. Even at Lowe's the stuff is fifteen bucks for a fifty-five pound bag!

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Fast eddie part deux

Jerry ... great opportunity for you to present a cost save or value engineeing to the client. Do a little research, find out what it would cost to do the mapei product. Then price the other way. Be sure to have a copy of the page of the tile spec book that shows that the pile of sand method is acceptable.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase