Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
mark999

stacked stone on fireplace with outside corners

I have done stacked stone on flat walls but never dealt with outside corners,factory made with the notches. Starting with a whole piece from the corner working to the other corner.How do you deal with fitting the last piece? I can not imagine haveing to cut a new notch to the corner. Do you cut the last whole tile straight and then cut the last piece from the corner and cut it straight to be tight with the other piece that was cut straight.If that is the case then do you put that joint at random places in the rows?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Can you post a pic, Mark? I don't think anyone is understanding the situation.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #3
mark999

Imagine an interior drywall wall where carpenters framed and durocked for a fireplace.floor to ceiling.You have the face wall and each end has a return wall about 10" The stacked stone is from the tile shop(RR) and it comes with factory outside corners that are made with a notch on both perpendicular sides that inter lock with the field tile that has the oppisite notch.

If you had a wall with only 1 outside corner you could start at the corner and then run the field tile from there and terminate with straight cuts where the walls ended.

This project will require outside corners at both ends where you have a return wall at both ends. So the field tile will need to be cut. I figer there are 2 options.
1)Start at a corner and cut the last field tile with a notch to fit the remaining corner or
2)Start at both corners and work towards the middle. where they over lap cut both pieces straight with no gap.Then stagger that joint so they do not line up.

I hope that helps.I would think would be fairly common but I have never encountered this and want to do it right.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Just In Tile LLC

Kinda get the gist of what you're asking Mark, to me you could implement both of your solutions and make it work. At the end of the day whether you do one or the other if it looks pleasing to the eye and nothing jumps out at you you've done it correctly. Doing some layout on it will help in making sure your cuts end up as large as possible, whether they be on the sides or middle.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, that helps, Mark. I agree with Justin, if you can install it so the cuts don't look obvious or stand out, that's going to be the best look.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
Gozo

I had a similar situation recently with these type of stones on an accent wall. I staggered the cut tiles one flush with the right side,next row one flush with the left side, next row flush on both sides and make a central tile to fit the spacing; then repeat. The idea is to not leave a visual pattern of left, left, left, or left, right, left, right, etc. The eye is good at picking these up. I found that no matter how tight you try to make the junction, because of the irregular nature of these, it’s almost impossible to hide the seam. Randomizing the seams helps make the installation look more “natural”. I laid them out in the driveway to get an idea of what it would look like.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
CaliGrown

Depending on layout, we’ll rip some of the corners and flats down the middle lengthwise to stagger out between the notches, really helps to keep the joints tight since the panel notches aren’t always the same dimension. Can usually score the backside partway with the wet saw so you don’t notice the kerf loss on the face.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase