Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
ncstevem

First tile project - need advice

I have an extremely small bath (6 x 6 - 'L' shaped not including the shower) which is gutted to the studs and joists.

The original shower pan had 1 x 6 's under it which I left in place so I used 3/4" plywood on the rest of the floor to make everything level. I screwed the plywood to the joists. Is that a problem for a bath this small? I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't screw the plywood to the joists while others have disputed that opinion.

I planned on using 1/4 ' plywood under the new shower pan and over the original 1 x 6 's as well as 1/4" cement board over the 3/4" plywood. Should I have used 1/2" plywood (instead of the 3/4) and 1/2" cement board instead? Don't think I can use 1/2" cement board with 3/4" plywood because I won't be able to fit the tile under the existing bath door marble threshold which I want to keep.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hello Steve........

and welcome to Tile Your World forums.

You write
Quote:
The original shower pan had 1 x 6 's under it which I left in place so I used 3/4" plywood on the rest of the floor to make everything level.
1. How did placing 3/4" plywood "on the rest of the floor" make it level to where the 1 x 6 's were left in place and not covered with 3/4" plywood?

2. I would not consider using 1/4" plywood as an underlayment anywhere in this bath.

3. 1/4" is the manufacturer recommended thickness for CBU used as flooring undelayment...... unless extra thickness is needed for height matching.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Jalisco
F+V Tile

Thumbs up hello steve

Iam not so sure about what are you trying to explain but as far as laying tile over 1/4 ply is a no no at least 3/4 and 1 1/4 for setting marble and plywood is ok to screw it to the joist and but try to avoid to do it on the backer board and use screws that not go over your thickness of plywood and backer board example 3/4ply +1/2 BB use max 1 1/4 screws hope this help u keep me informed and good luck:
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Howdy Eric.........

Please slip on over to our TYW "Professionals's Hangout" forum and tell us a bit about yerself' amd yer' NC tile experience and bidness'.

And...... like Eric says Steve..... don't plan on using any 1/4" ply underlayment beneath a ceramic tile covering,
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
ncstevem

The 1/4 plywood...

will only be under the (1 piece - transolid) shower pan. So the pan would be sitting on top of 1/4" plywood plus the 1 x 6's.

The rest of the bath floor where the tile would be installed would have 3/4" plywood and 1/4" cement board. I was asking if it would be better to use 1/2" plywood with 1/2 " cement board for the tile subfloor instead of the 3/4" with 1/4" configuration or does it really matter.

Sorry for the confusion.
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Steve.

If I understand what you're doing, it matters a great deal.

You have removed the original board subflooring in the rest of the bathroom, outside the shower area, is that correct?

If so, you absolutely don't want to start with half-inch plywood for your subfloor. If your joist spacing is 16"oc, starting with 3/4" plywood would be a minimal subfloor for a tile installation, but adequate for some substrate manufacturers.

There is never an advantage to using thicker CBU for you substrate unless you need the additional height. None of them add anything structural to your subfloor.

Have you evaluated your joist structure to determine the suitability for a tile installation?

I would not want any quarter-inch plywood even under a pre-fab shower receptor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase