Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Plumb Crazy Purple

finishing tub edge

Hi Guys,
I need some advice/ideas on how to finish the edge of the tub. There's a gap between the tub edge and wall. I'll be installing a shower head and want to prevent the water from spraying out the sides. The gap varies from 1/4 to 1/2. I was planning on using polyurethane adhesive to glue some 1/4 round pieces to bridge the gap. Attachment 82838Name:  tub 003.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  30.5 KB
Plumb Crazy Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Edthedawg
Wannabe Engineer Old-house-nik DIY'er :)

Hi Peter,

Please add that first name to your signature, so we continue to know who you are (UserCP in the dark blue band, upper left corner of the screen)

What you've got there is, well, highly unusual. Nothing we can suggest is gonna be remotely adequate. That tub's gonna move around a LOT as it warms up and cools down, which is gonna play havoc with whatever you try to do to bridge off the wall onto that wide deck. Polyurethane would be a real problem if it's bonding both the tub and the walls - that'll crack in a heartbeat. You need a lot more flexibility if you actually go thru with this plan.

Does that deck slope uniformly, all around, IN towards the tub? Or do some areas kinda slope down / away / out of the tub?

Did you just build those subway walls? If so, what're the construction details? What's the waterproofing employed?

If they're old walls, and they likely have no waterproofing in them, then what's your plan to keep this from all A) leaking a lot of water down the sides, and/or B) simply falling apart, and right quick?

Were you planning on cracking open a few rows of tile on the walls, and tying in some kind of membrane, and building yourself some kinda stubby shelf to overhang the walls onto that fat tub deck?

Have you considered just putting a simple shower curtain surround up, like a "normal" clawfoot tub/shower gets?

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Edthedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
bbcamp

Quote:
Have you considered just putting a simple shower curtain surround up, like a "normal" clawfoot tub/shower gets?
If not, please do so. What you are planning is not likely to work and will be a maintenance nightmare.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Plumb Crazy Purple

I installed the subway tile on top of cbu and felt. All the walls are insulated. I used epoxy grout.

The deck is not uniform. It has a slight slope towards the tub. But the deck has a bit of a hump in the center where it slopes towards the drain side and the other end of the tub.

My thoughts were to use the polyurethane adhesive to glue the top edge of the 1/4 round to the subway. I've used PL polyurethane adhesive before on other things and it stayed flexible. It was not like liquid nails. I would use spacers and tape to keep a gap at the tub deck. Then I would seal the gap between the tub deck and bottom of the 1/4 round with silicone. I would also seal the top of the 1/4 round with silicone. I also thought about using some solid copper wire and gluing that to the back side of the 1/4 round to help hold the row in place. I figured the polyurethane was a better stronger bond than silicone.

I do have a shower curtain ring, but wanted to take advantage of the tub deck. I wanted to get the single curved shower rod that spans from opposite walls. I've seen these in hotels and it makes me feel less confined because the rod curves outward and holds the curtain further away.

Your thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Shawn Prentice

Same thoughts as Ed and Bob. That tub is not suited for that area unless you use a typical claw foot tub curtain.

Add: you do realize those trim tiles you want to use will just create a water trap against the wall, right?

Last edited by Shawn Prentice; 09-15-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Shawn Prentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Same as others - your plan says "crack" to my thinking. Tub looks nice just where it is. Floor tile and claw foot says keep in same era and use a claw foot tub curtain. Really looks nice there though.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
mynewshower
Tile Contractor, California

If still do not want a curtain...

If you are still not sold on a shower curtain, the advice that I would give would be a Plastic, 1" quarter round. I would apply this with 100% silicone adhered to the shower wall and also to the tub deck. The type of tub that you have was not meant to be tiled in, and there is really no perfect fix.
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Plumb Crazy Purple

Can you explain "water trap"? I guess I could have another shower curtain ring made into a "D" shape to achieve that curve. If I can't stand it, that 1/4 round plastic sounds better than the trim tiles. Thanks for all the advice.
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

He's talking about how water will "pool" up against the trim tile if the tub's shoulder isn't sloping towards the inside of the tub.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase