Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquera
Air Filter

Dewalt 4.5" Wet/Dry Masonry Saw - DW861W

So I recently picked up one of these things from the "house of tools" going out of business sale, got it for a good deal... - anyways, I couldn't find any reviews on it so here's my thoughts.

- for cutting circles (like for toilets) it's not as fast as a regular angle grinder. Its hard to twist around and see what you're doing.
- it does have plenty of power
- the dust shoots forward, which is actually a good thing
- its the perfect tool for cutting tile that's already set. I used it to cut an access hole under a kitchen island, you can use it with one hand and hold your vacuum nozzle with the other..
- I also used it for cutting an air vent hole a bit bigger in tile that was already set, again it was very easy to be accurate.

I wouldn't buy it again, I don't cut many 24x48ers, but that being said, it does have its use and I do keep it in the truck. One of these days I'll have a tiny job to do and the portability will be nice, again, an angle grinder can basically do the same thing, but this has a water attachment and does seem to make cleaner cuts.

here's the link to the saw
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=10236
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Mike one of the issues I've always had with hand held saws like this one is that (at least those that I have owned..Jepson, Alpha and Makita) all had 20mm arbors and not 5/8"..Always creates a hassel if I have blades that don't have the correct knock-out. I do like (as you point out) the huge power these little saws have (12.5 amp) for the relative size and weight. Also I agree they have a place on the truck and the water line built in is a nice feature to keep the dust down and the cuts cleaner.

I used to use them all the time and I loved the Jepson until I got used to a Metabo grinder with no gaurd and a flush mount hub

In your case the price sounded right and it ain't a bad tool to have around if it's priced for clearance...even for the one or two times a year a job rolls around where it saves you some time and hassle..(like the big pavers ect.)

Thanks for the review.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

lol Trask, I have 2 metabos in my truck right now, one of my guys has another and the 3rd is saving up to get his after paying me back for advancing him the cash for his Bosch cordless set. All of us use the flat blade with no guard.

I am curious though.... Seen a new Ridgid saw, fiber cement saw.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R3400-Fu...w/EN/index.htm

looks kinda cool.

I do have a saw like above, I think it's a Felker. It has it's uses, but I use my grinder 95% of the time.
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase