Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-19-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
JS2003

Question Tiling an Archway??

First of all this is a great site and I have been learning from you folks over the past few weeks.

I plan on creating a custom shower with an archway over the shower doors. The shower itself will be about 58 inches wide. Since the doors are 48 a "curb" of about 5 inches wide will be built on each side. The "curb" will continue up and curve into an archway over the door. I had planned on using 2x4's for the framing - so the "face" would be just shy of 5 inches thick.

Basically I'll have two outside corners that round the arch. I'd like to tile both sides of the arch as well as the "face." I've toyed with various combinations of bull nose tiles but I can't quite get my arms around how this should work. Are there "cap" tiles (i.e. shaped like a mini corner bead).

I need some suggestions of how to tile this.

Thanks for any information you send me,
Joe
JS2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-19-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hi Joe, Welcome aboard. A picture would really help here,but let me just say this. Anytime you are tiling an outside corner radius, you will be cutting your bullnose into smaller pieces.It the nature of the beast.We can give a little more help with a picture to see just what it is you are attempting to do. Sounds like fun!!
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Joe,

As Todd says, it's going to be a matter of making little pieces out of bigger pieces. I don't know of any other way to do it. There are no ready-made curved bullnose pieces. You could have something custom made.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 07:31 AM   #4
JS2003

more questions

Thanks for the response guys - Unfortunately you confirmed what I already suspected. I will try to get you a photo. I read a bit about tiling ariound a door jam which is basically what I will have, its just that the jam will extend upward and form an arch. I had the idea of cutting 6 inch bull nose tiles in half so that I could more easily form the radius around the arch.

I have a few additional questions - I hope its okay.

1) What are the pros/cons to CPE vs PVC for the liner or are they equivalent?

2) I've seen written here that "corners" are availble for the pan liner - again what are the pros and cons of this vs just doing a fold and then solvent/glue?

3) Between the top of the flange and the pan liner I know you need a bead of caulk. Can I assume it should be silcone caulk?

Thanks again for the advice!!!

Joe
JS2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
bbcamp

Eric will correct me, should I err...

1) CPE and PVC will perform exactly the same function for as long as you want it to. PVC gets a little brittle with age, but once in the pan, that has little impact on long term performance. Use either as your budget or access to the products allow. Just remember that you can't mix and match the products. Use PVC liner, PVC dam corners, and PVC liner glue, or, CPE liner, CPE corners and CPE glue.

2) Inside corners are folded and glued. Outside corners are needed for, well, outside corners, such as at the curb. Neither material stretches much, thus the need for the "dam" corners.

3) #1 choice would be silicone caulk, but practically any caulk will do. I've heard some say that they "use whatever's in the truck."

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I use whatever's in the truck.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase