Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
dawn68

Exclamation replacing shower pan--easy or hard???

I've got a question, hoping someone can help... We live in a 3 yr old house, typical builder grade shower pan. In the master bath we were able to select which tiles we wanted for walls and flooring, but were stuck with the standard, cheapest shower stall pan.

I just noticed a circular crack, something heavy must have been dropped. I have 2 options, as this crack is quite small. First would be to caulk it and live with it, the other would be to replace the whole deal.

I also hate the cheap acrylic shower doors, with the cheesy brass frame. Would not mind ripping them out and replacing with real glass at the same time.

My question, is how are these shower floor pans installed? Would it be hard to rip out and replace? Are they just set in , then the drain installed and caulked around the edges? Or, are they actually set in concrete or something??

I'm fairly handy, husband is not. Don't mind taking this on, as long as I don't end up in way way over my head--ha!

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Dawn
dawn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Hi Dawn,
Take a look here same problem http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=31028 see if that gives a clue then come back.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hi Dawn,

They are not hard to remove/ replace. In most cases, the flange around the top of the pan is nailed to the studs. The drain is often a compression fit. You'll have to get that rubber washer out that goes between the drain assy and the PVC pipe ( I assume it's PVC). That's probably the hardest thing to do. There may ( or may not) be some deck mud under the pan when you remove it. It only acts as support and does not act as amuch of a bonding agent.

Whatcha' gonna do with the walls though? Gotta tear out the bottom to get the pan out....good time to re-tile

Jason

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase