Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #1
nikkiwood

Dewalt DW861W (wet/dry 4 1/2" saw)

Apparently, this is a new offering from Dewalt, and I am wondering if any of you have seen or used it.

it looks to me as though it would be a safer, more easily controlled alternative to an angle grinder.

The link below offers a description. I am new to JB, so I aplogize if the link is not live.

http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/....pl?SKU=DW861W

I edited only to liven up the link. -- J.B.

Last edited by John Bridge; 08-21-2005 at 12:25 PM.
nikkiwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Nikki. Glad you made it.

It looks like the same type of saw that is sold in Home Depot for $88. I think theirs is a Q.E.P. Unless the DeWalt is made in the U.S., which I doubt, it's pretty much the same thing. I'm currently testing a similar saw for Felker that they intend to maket in Lowes stores for guess how much. That's right, $88.

The water attachments on most of these little saws will not work with a water hose -- too much pressure. The Felker works with a hose. Don't know about the Q.E.P. I guess what I'm saying is that I would not spend the price of the DeWalt.

Here's a pic of the new Felker. It's not out yet, though. I'll be publishing a review on it in a few days.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Looks like a nice saw and Dewalt has a good reputation for circular saws.
Hmmmm, jeff didnt send me one
Of course I havent seen the Felker Model yet ( Andy didnt send me one either ) but in Johns Picture it looks very similar to the Jepson's that have been around for a very long time.

Much depends on what you want to cut with these small skill saw type units.
I for 1 wouldnt consider doing an entire job with one. Generally they are handy for
Removal, of old grout for repair work
Quick repairs with 1 or 2 simple cuts
Jamb cuts in Large format tile.

I agree they are safer than an angle grinder, but they are also a bit more limited in what they can do.
An Angle grinder can contour, get closer to walls etc.
I would still own an angle grinder first, then get one of these.
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Yeah I have the Mk saw like that and a work force saw I got from home repo with a laser for 88 bucks. John why do you get all the new try on toys??? Oh yeah cause the old guys wont break it like the young go get em boys will. Nice ring on your hand you dont look dirty enough using that saw.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
ilverme

Hey Opie, I bought his book to check out a couple of months back. Not a grout or mortar smear one. Kinda suspicious, starting to wonder if that was really his signature on my autographed copy. Mr. Bridge is still the man, even if his hands seem kinda clean. (possibly another persons hands in the photo, a kinda "Hand In")
Unread 08-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #6
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Those might not even be John's hands in the picture. As an author, and esteemed tool tester, John probably has a hand model for the photo shots.

...Not that he would have a need for a hand model, being that he uses only white thinset. Its that his time is better spent doing other things.
Unread 08-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
wow john you think they like you in theese neck of the woods huh. Maybe he has a sit it stunt double for tile tools. Can I be one so i can break it and buy it before it comes out.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase