Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-08-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
aglambert

Re-centering a shower drain

I have read some of the posts here (very informative!), and think I know what to do, but had a few questions on a small shower I am replacing in my basement. I need to center the drain (it wasn't centered before, and was ugggly...), and I have broken out the slab around it to give myself room to work. My drain line from the shower area is 1 1/2" copper (I think it connects to a cast iron pipe under the slab in my family room about 6' away.) I have attached (I think) three pictures to show what I am trying to do. The drain exit is to the left, and that is the vent line running horizontally across connecting to a vent going up on the right side.

Questions:
1) Is it a problem that the drain is only 1.5" (I think code is 2")?
2) The other posts I have seen have been about cast iron or clay pipe. Anything special I need to do to connect to copper? Since I have a copper drain line, should I still install a PVC trap?
3) I have a funky vent line that loops back from the trap (right where the centered drain should be!) I assume I still need it...what do I have to do when I re-route the vent (slope, bends, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
AG
Attached Images

aglambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-08-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
ChasR
Remodeling Contractor

Ag

This is definately a job for Lonny. He'll come around.
Chas
ChasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, AG.

What Chas said.

Lonny has often spoken about copper vent pipes rotting away, unfortunately. I've never had to deal with any myownself.

It would be better if you could get the drain increased to two-inch pipe. Any idea how far you'd hafta go to do that? At the very least I think you'll wanna install a two-inch trap, preferably PVC or ABS.

Let's see what ol' Lonny has to say.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
AG

I think I can definitely do a 2" trap, but the 1 1/2" line out of the shower leads through a footing and then about 6' across the family room. It would be tough to change...

By the way, the hole in the vent pipe in my picture isn't rot, but my having perforated it with my rotohammer.

I will wait for Lonny's advice. Thanks.
AG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase