Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
neverlost

How many PSI can I plan for without cracking?

Hi all,
I have an engineering background but don't know a lot about tile or how much pressure it can handle without cracking under compression. I have a tile floor on slab, and am placing an aquarium on it upon a steel stand. The stand has 8 feet, each are 1.25" diameter. With a safety factor, total weight is about 5000lbs, so about 500psi at each foot (assuming even loading, which is probably not exactly the case but close)

I have this tile (picture attached of label) it is 18"x18" daltile SW93-Raffia Noce.

Do I have to worry about further spreading the load to reduce the PSI on the tiles? I attached pictures of the stand on the floor.

I feel like the tile should be able to handle a huge load without cracking, but wanted to check

Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Images

Unread 01-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ben.

Best I can determine that's a glazed porcelain, but I can't find any indication that it meets ANSI A137.1 so there might be some question.

If it is a porcelain tile, I wouldn't worry about the compressibility of the tile. The glaze may or may not be a problem.

If you have 100 percent thinset mortar coverage under the tiles where the feet sit, I wouldn't worry about that withstanding the 500psi either. But, not having set your tiles, I can't be sure just what might be under there, 'specially right near those edges.

Your concrete slab, even if poorly done, passed its 500 psi hardness after about the first 24 hours of life and I'd not worry about it at all.

About the only thing I would be able to guarantee is that after your full aquarium has been sitting on that stand for a year or so, you should know if it will hurt the tile floor in any way. Now, just how helpful is that?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Any idea what the spec strength of your slab is? I'm not sure they typically use one specified for that pressure. Might have a slab issue in addition to the tile.

If the tile were installed properly, industry standards call for a minimum of 95% coverage in the field and 100% of the edges. The tile may be okay IF the underlying slab can handle it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
neverlost

Awesome thank you both! The house sits on a post tension slab, pretty thick with thicker areas framing thinner sections. I am afraid that I do not know the detailed specs of the slab other than that it is post-tension (so I can't drill into it).

I feel pretty good about the slab, I am more concerned about the tile and whether I need to put additional pieces in to spread the load from the feet.

I appreciate your input!
Unread 01-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
(so I can't drill into it)
Sure you can, Ben, just don't drill into any of your cables.

Even the poorest concrete specified for spec houses, which is usually 2500 psi, maybe cheated on a little by the batch plant, and maybe poured at nearly self-leveling slump as is so often the case, is still gonna test out above 2000 psi after a few months. I wouldn't worry about the slab at all in your application.

I actually think the glaze on the tile is the most likely part that might be damaged by the steel feet.

Putting something under the feet to spread the load is certainly not gonna hurt anything, though, if you wanna do that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
neverlost

Sounds good CX. I am hoping that the rubber pads on the bottom of the steel feet protect the Glaze enough.

Appreciate the input
Unread 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Dave Gobis
da Man!

In the testing I have done in the past the compressive strength of porcelain tile was marginally less than the supporting surface. In an unsupported application it is usually between 400-600 PSF, maybe a little higher or lower depending on cm and composition.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
neverlost

Thanks David. With mine being (in theory) a supported application with the slab immediately beneath, I would think that the compressive strength would be quite high for the porcelain tile.

Thanks for your input!
Unread 01-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Kman

If the tile are properly installed, they should handle the weight of the stand, tank and water without any issues.

But not the weight of the cat, though.

I know the fish won't be able to tolerate the cat.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nonsense! Clearly the cat is there to help lighten the fish load, which will help with the footprint issue. May be some paw prints onna side of the tank, but that's an entirely different footprint issue. Not covered by the ANSI standards, either.

Unread 01-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
eurob
Not...Sure

Ben, it looks like you have a ceramic tile and the breaking strenth is not high.

For sure the more you spread the load , the better , but a porcelaine tile with a high breaking strength is advisable.

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
neverlost

Thanks! I will plan on telling the cat to work overtime, and see what I can get to help spread the load of the feet.

Cheers!
Ben
Unread 01-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Wink

CX- the cat and the fish will weigh the same regardless of the fishes location, for about a hour..
Unread 01-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobis
...usually between 400-600 PSF...
That sounds awfully low for the compressive strength of a porcelain tile, Dave. What am I missing?

Unread 01-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

So, my rather large mother in law in high heels is more likely to break the tiles than the aquarium and stand ?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase