Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
NowhereMan

subway trim tile around window

I did a pebble tile shower several years ago (which is still going strong), and this forum was a fantastic reference back then. Now, I'm working on a subway tile backsplash. The original plan was just to go up 12" to the bottom of the windows. That's done (except for grouting/caulking), and it went so well that the wife decided we should have it go all the way up to the ceiling. I'm OK with that, but I'm not sure what to do around the windows. Something easy that does not look to amateurish would be ideal...

Btw, the tile I'm using is 2" x 4" and it's only white on the surface, with the inside being grayish. As far as I know, there are no matching bullnose pieces or anything like that.
Unread 12-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
NowhereMan

Forgot the picture...
Attached Images

Unread 12-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
rmckee84

There's several options, some cost more than others and some just take more time.
-get some solid surface (quartz, marble, granite, corian) and put it up for jambs around the window and use pieces wide enough to cap the tile running up to it
-mitre the outside corners and run the tile up the Jamba
-use profiles to cap the cut edges of the tile
There's others too but those are the most common
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
NowhereMan

Thanks for the quick reply! Granite, quartz, etc., is too much for this kitchen, as it's a pretty basic setup. And mitering is not a realistic option with my equipment. I'm not a big fan of those profiles that cover up the ends.

How about something like maybe a quarter round wood trim around the windows, with a grout joint between that and the end of the tile? Or maybe even just leave it "raw" but paint it? Too cheesy?
Unread 12-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you do the wood trim, Mark, you want to use a color-matched caulk between it and your tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
IMO, Mark, a small quarter round will look way out of proportion.

If there are no matching trim/finish pieces available, and you're trying to do this inexpensively, I'd be inclined to add a 1X flat casing around the window, and just have the tile die against it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
NowhereMan

Yes, 1" flat trim seems like it might be the way to go. The wife wants black grout, so I'm assuming it would be black caulk between the trim and the end of the tile?
Unread 12-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Yup.

Given the black caulk, I'd keep the joint between the tile and the 1X pretty darn tight to avoid a wide bead, I'd also run some painters tape down the edge where the tile abuts the 1X before running the caulk. It'll be a bit of a challenge to keep it all looking tidy.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

Why not just trim out the window and butt the tile into the casing? Leaving a caulk joint, as mentioned.
Unread 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What size joints do you have? I would make a sample board and experiment with the grout. We've had several threads lately with dark grout looking splotchy. And, remember that dark grout shows every imperfection in the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #11
NowhereMan

Ha ha! Yes, I've done some research and I know about the dark grout showing all imperfections (and, yes, I have been known to have a few imperfections...). I've explained all of this to the wife, and she still insists on the dark grout.

One more question...Instead of butting the tile against the trim, how about "backband" moulding, that is, moulding that fits over the top of the tile edge? It seems like that would likely give a lot cleaner look.
Unread 12-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
workhurts

I used white metal Schluter trim for mine. In fact I ripped out the old trim and replaced with the Schluter trim for a cleaner look. I also resized the window slightly with something like lauan to get full tiles instead of slivers.
Unread 12-28-2018, 08:03 AM   #13
rmckee84

I've ripped the backside of trim and let it go over the tile, that works just fine if you want to go that route.
Unread 01-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
NowhereMan

Thanks for the advice so far.

Another question... What type and brand of grout would you recommend? Sanded, unsanded, cementitious, epoxy, other?

I've done 2 pebble tile bathrooms and used spectralock epoxy grout (lots and lots and lots of epoxy grout--see the attached picture) on both of those, and that's held up really well. So, I'm tempted to use it again. I suppose it's overkill, but that's all that I know...
Attached Images

Unread 01-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #15
rmckee84

For a backsplash I'd go with PCS if you like Laticrete products. Spectralock would be overkill but there's no reason you couldnt use it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase