Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
KJM11379

Master-bath project

Hello,

I just want to start out by saying thank you to all the experts in this forum for all of their advice, time and expertise. This will most likely be a multi part post with tons of photos.

Somebackground:

We started our own master-bath project a few weeks back I had several quotes for the entire project which were all over the place so we decided to do the demo, electrical, trim work, paint etc., ourselves and sub out the sheetrock, plumbing, freestanding tub install, tile install and shower install. The plumbing, sheetrock and everything we did ourselves went totally as planned without an issue at all.

We had several quotes for the tile install and shower install. We picked who was thought was the best person, not the cheapest and not the most expensive and came recommend from the local tile shop as having 20 plus years in the business.

The floor tile install went in with out an issue nice and clean, nice cuts, grout looks good and level.. This is where it starts to go south. I had advised the contractor that I was interested in the schulter system for the entire shower from curbs to walls and bench, he talked me out of it because of "cost and "its foam". He told me he would waterproof and do it old school like he has for 20 plus years, mud bed, wood curbs, hardibacker on wall etc.

Part 1:

So we get to shower install day he installs 3 2x4 for each curb. The shower is 48x48 2 walls, and 2 curbs. His plumber shows up unexpected and wants to do the shower liner and drain so he rushes to get the curbs in and never puts any blocking in-between the 2x4 walls for the liner. The liner goes in and does not wrap all the up and over and then down the curbs again. I bring this up and he tells me it only needs to come up to and on top of the curb a couple inches. He then wraps the curb inside and outside with 1/2 inch Hardie backer with nails inside the curb at about 2.5 inches from the pan liner. He then installs the hard backer walls up to the ceiling. He fails to fill the seams with any type of thinnest and just puts the mesh tape on all seams. He fills the corner seam with about 2 tubes of silicon and tells me it will ever leak and then throws some additional mesh tape in the corner seam.

Here are some photos, more to come as the day goes on....
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
KJM11379

Master-Bath Project Post #2.

So curbs go in and then he paints each curb with regard and fills the seams and spaces with silicone and then mesh tape with no thinnest again.

He then pours the mud pan while I am not home and stuck at work until late that night. When I get home that night I walk in the bathroom and can see as soon as I walk in that the perimeter of the pan at the curbs is not even close to level. Each corner is at a different height. The pan looks low in spots and high in others. I take photos and text him asking what happen, no response until the AM.

More to come....
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
KJM11379

Angry Master-bath Post #3

He tells me that the mud pan is ok and its only a little bit out of level which I disagree with and show up with a tape measure. He then tells me that he can "flash the pan" with thin set and make it close to level around the perimeter. Him and his helper spend an entire day mixing speed set and flashing the pan trying to get it level. After 12 hours the thin set was still like soup and nearly 1 inch thick in spots trying to make up the difference. He also tried to grind down the high corner which cause a belly in the pan right at the corner...

After not sleeping all night I went into the bathroom to find this:
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
KJM11379

Angry Master-Bath Part #4

As you can see above I had enough and dug out a bunch of the thin set which was 1 inch thick in spots on top of the already poured mud pan and after 12 hours not even close to dry and it was "Speed Set" I told him to not show up today and started to take apart what he had done and found more and more issues....
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
KJM11379

Angry Master-Bath Part #5

And more...
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
KJM11379

Angry Master-Bath Part #6

And here are a few more as I demoed the entire pan out....
Attached Images

Unread 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
KJM11379

Unhappy Master Bath Part #7

Out of my anger I got the pan and curbs out without damaging the tile in record time....Here are the final photos for today as I have to head out to a family Christmas Party and try to enjoy myself with this on my mind....

Someone please tell me I am not crazy and that this install is completely a disaster and I am right in taking it out and telling the contractor to not come back to my home....?
Attached Images

Last edited by KJM11379; 12-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.
KJM11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
makethatkerdistick

You are not crazy. This install is a complete disaster.
Seems like this will be a complete re-do. Your installer has been doing it wrong for 20 years. I hope you haven't paid him.
Unread 12-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
KJM11379

Red face

I am out half of the money. But he did get the tile floor and thresholds installed and properly grouted. Not even sure its worth going after him for $2500 bucks. Thanks for the reply...
Unread 12-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

Wolfgang is being nice.
Unread 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
makethatkerdistick

How has the floor tile been set? What underlayment do you have? Is the subfloor stiff enough to receive those tiles? What has your contractor done to ensure a good bond? Did he tile directly onto the plywood? (Hopefully not!)

I have little experience with with wooden subfloors but someone will be along to help. Just looking at the mess you have in your shower, it begs the question whether the floor is any better.
Unread 12-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
KJM11379

The Tile floor is 6x24 porcelain wood look. It was laid on 1/4 hardibacker which was attached using thinset and nailed (versabond). The sub floor is 3/4 inch over TJI engineered joists at 19.2 inches on center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 12-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't have paid him a dime up front unless it was for materials. And half would have been way too much. I would call him and tell him that you'll pay him for the floor but not for the work he has done in the shower since he hasn't installed it to any tile industry guidelines. Maybe you'll get some back, maybe not without a big fight.

This is getting to be normal in this trade.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2018, 07:50 PM   #14
Gozo

Getting to be normal in too many trades. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a collection notice for the balance remaining. He’ll say his usual “been doing it that way for 20 years, never a complaint”. Collection folks work for him, don’t know or care about industry standards. Goes on seemingly forever. Been there, had to deal with that. Ask for the nonfloor part of the deposit back, test the waters, be happy if you part with just the deposit and spare the headache.
Unread 12-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #15
KJM11379

We never executed a contract between us. So I’m not sure what he could try and collect. I know bad on my part and his part. He came highly recommended from the tile shop and he knew people I knew (lots of name dropping). I’m fine with leaving my deposit and just happy he is no longer in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase