Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Rob79

Dewalt or lackmond

Looking for some advice on a new saw. Husky is out of the price range at this time. So I'm between the dewalt or lackmond. I never used either saw. I'm coming from a felker.

Last edited by Rob79; 12-09-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Rob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Rob, if you'll type dewalt into the Advanced Search feature you'll find a world of information, mostly about their D24000 model. Lackmond won't get you much information, but if you type in the model you're looking at, it may help. I know I've seen discussion of a couple of their saws, but I don't recall the models.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
speed51133

the dewalt is stocked at my local floor and decor...if you have one by you
Unread 12-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
makethatkerdistick

At $750 shipped including stand, the DeWalt is by far the best bang for the buck in the 10 inch saw category. What does the Lackmond Beast (10 in is what you are looking at, I assume?) offer that warrants the extra $300ish? It has a laser and a work light but those are mostly gimmicks.

A Tile Shop salesman once told me that the Lackmond is a "re-labeled" DeWalt which I believe to be completely wrong. However, it's a direct competitor to the DeWalt if you also look at things like warranty (1 yr. & 3. yr. warranties combined seem the same on both saws, read the fine print).
Unread 12-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
speed51133

where do you see it for 750 shipped with a stand?
Unread 12-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #6
Mdsims

Check contractorsdirect. They often even throw in a mixing drill or other accessory tool at that price. Bundled promotions too.
Unread 12-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Rob79

The dewalt is $740 shipped with a free grinder from contractors direct. I think the lackmond does a larger format rip and diagonal. I'm just trying to do a comparison with felker. I dont want to be disappointed
Unread 12-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
speed51133

nice....i get an employee discount of half off from dewalt, but I thought that was still too much!
Unread 12-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The Dewalt is nice and has a lot of bells and whistles but don't think for a minute that it will last as long as your old Felker. My DeWalt is still on my pool table waiting for a new motor. We didn't abuse it, we just wore it out in about 4 years.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Rob79

Yeah that's my issue. Dont want to spend the money and have something that lasts 4 years. My felker is well over 20 years old.
Cannot imagine how much tile this saw cut. Maybe will have to wait and get a husqvarna

Last edited by Rob79; 12-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Rob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, I've had old Felkers that were 20+ years old and still running. I have a couple Target saws that are 12+ years old and I have changed out a switch on each one of them but that is all.

I do like the table and rail system on the DeWalt. It has no slop in it and always worked well. I do keep my wheels and the rail oiled up which helps. If you do a lot of bevel cuts then the DeWalt might be worth it. I do like the DW pan, it catches nearly all the water. The Target or Husqvarna has more splash. Seems like the DW is lighter.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

We have been using a dewalt for over 10 years now, still going strong. I’m quite sure ours doesn’t have quite the miles on it that Davy’s does. There is quite a bit of play in the slide/rails now, but still manageable. Some other minor dings, mostly from getting bumped around in the trailer. I will definitely get another when this one can’t go any longer.
Unread 12-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The bearings on the DW lasted 2-3 years before they started getting loud. The shaft bearings on my old Felkers had to be changed occasionally but I could go to the Auto Parts and they would cross reference the numbers and find me the bearings, usually in stock. Wasn't a big deal.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
HS345
Tile Contractor

Bought a DeWalt after a bad crash ruined my old saw. The motor burned up after about six months of use, still under warranty. DeWalt made me drive it to the closest shop, which was two hours away, then kept the saw for three weeks. Got it back, used it on one job, same thing. I called Contractors Direct, and complained, so they shipped me a new one with a return label for the old one. So far, so good on the replacement.

I was very unhappy with DeWalt's customer service (or lack of). When I called them to tell them the saw burned up, again, just a couple of weeks after they "fixed it", they said the manager wasn't in, so I'd have to call back tomorrow. The guy asked me if I had a new blade on the saw. Uhhh, what? You have to run a new blade all the time to keep the motor from burning up? Thank God CD stepped up and helped me out. Although, when the saw initially failed, CD said there was nothing they could do, and I'd have to work with DeWalt. But they did come through in the end, so I guess that's what counts.

I love the water control, and the way the saw cuts, but I have always felt the DeWalts were under powered.
Unread 12-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #15
Rob79

Yeah, I've been reading reviews that the dewalt is underpowered. I'm leary of those direct drive motors. Never used one

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase