Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
jkats

new tile floor, dishwasher won't fit...

Hi all - got a quick question. I just finished tiling our kitchen floor (used to be linoleum). Unfortunately, our dishwasher is now a little too tall to go back in (I swear I measured beforehand!). I guess the tile ended up being a little higher than I calculated. It's actually not a huge deal because we will be replacing our countertops as well. However, I would like to know if it's ok to remove the wood cross piece that goes across the front of the dishwasher space (see photo). I don't believe it's structural, but just thought I should ask the experts before I remove it.

Also, since we will be replacing the tile countertops with probably granite or quartz, will I need some kind of bracing across that space, in addition to the 3/4 plywood that will be on top?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

im no joiner or plumber or even a lawyer but i reckon that bit of timber is just filling a gap so i say be gone with it
Unread 12-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Kman

That's simply a spacer to hold the cabinets at a fixed distance (probably 24") so that they stay in place until secured to the wall. If the cabinets are securely fixed to the wall, you should be able to remove that piece without it affecting anything.

When the plywood is attached for the new countertops, it will serve the same function, it just won't be extending between the cabinets and blocking off your dishwasher.

For now, if you need to get the dishwasher in, you could remove that piece. If that's not possible right now, check the feet of the dishwasher and see if they will screw up into the frame, thereby lowering the dishwasher so that it'll fit.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
GregO

dishwasher

First thing to check is the adjustable "feet" on your dishwasher b/c that could save you having to do anything else.
Unread 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
HooKooDoo Ku

Agreed, look at the feet. You might even be able to remove them completely, but then you would need to put something (very thin) under the dishwasher as a buffer between the metal legs of the dishwasher and the tile.

As for that little piece of wood... it looks more like a trim piece to me rather than something that just held the space until the cabinets were in... mainly because it is color matched to the rest of the system.

In either case, it's still a piece of wood that you can remove... assuming there is something else to mount the dishwasher to so that it doesn't fall out. You've got to have enough room to screw the dishwasher to something on the underside of that counter top, and still have enough clearance for the door to open and close.

(BTW, I feel for you... I spent this past weekend replacing a dishwasher myself and ran into various issues that pretty much made that my weekend project).
Unread 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
jkats

Thanks for the advice guys. I removed the piece and the dishwasher slid right in (btw, I did lower the feet as much as possible).

hookoodoo - I know exactly what you mean! Seems like every 15 minute task turns into a 2 hour job for me - why can't anything ever be easy?!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase