Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
aaron0593

schluter drain grate moving.

Hi

I am in the middle of a custom shower with schluter shower kit and drain.

All the tile is set. Chiselled travertine. 2x2 inch on the floor

I havent grouted yet and was cleaning walls prior to grouting and stepped on the schluter grate and it sank down about 1/8th inch. This has never happened with about twenty showers and it could be because i had some fairly thick floor tile.

I squeezed as much thinset around the drain but who knows how much got down there.

I looked at a new drain assembly and notice that the collar with the triangular cutouts will get bonded but the grate can float pretty easily up and down. I amthinking there needs to be thinset between the collar and the grate to support it.

Should I be worried about this and do something else before i grout?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
PetrH

i've always taken care to get lots of thinset under the metal part of the assembly, since there seems to be little else supporting it. It you can, pull it back up while stepping on the adjacent tiles and then inject grout through the grout lines under the grate collar.
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron0593
...I amthinking there needs to be thinset between the collar and the grate to support it.

Should I be worried about this and do something else before i grout?
YES and YES! You absolutely positively need thinset above and below the collar. The grate gets it's vertical support from the mortar beneath it.

How long has it been since you set the tile? And what thinset did you use? If it hasn't been long, I'd remove two tiles, one on either side of the grate. These two openings will help facilitate getting thinset under there. If it's been a couple or more days, I'd be much more leery of removing a tile because it will want to tear the Kerdi. I personally wouldn't rely on just trying to squeeze some grout in there. I'd go out of my way to ensure it was completely filled.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
jwmezzanotte

I have had the same problem a few years ago.

same answers as above, needs support
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Well if it can go down, it can likely come up too. Since any bond to the tube has been broken. If the tile has been set for days, I'd think about taking the removable top of the grate off, then jiggering some kind of L shaped tool around as many sides of the tube as possible and hoisting up. once the metal part comes above the tile level I'd think you could rotate while pulling to more carefully get it further up enough to fill the void with thinset. Put the cap back on then push down until flush and clean the ooozage out. Biggest concern would be pulling up your embedded ring and all the tile with it. Even if you did pull up some first row tiles you'd likely be able to make it good again. Schluter reps discussed this at a training and said although its risky it has been done before.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase