Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Franko

"Chicago Electric" tile saw ??

I see an add for a used 10" Chicago Electric tile saw, 2.5 h.p. with PVO tray and stand, single phase, 3340 rpm. $200.

Is this a good brand? I hadn't heard of it before. Anyone have a recommendation?
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
HooKooDoo Ku

Is this what you're looking at (only $250 brand new).

Do a little Googling on "Chicago Electric" and "Harbor Freight" to get an idea of quality.

I personally wouldn't buy anything like that unless it was 50% off or more from current retail. IMHO, it's better to buy brand new - that way you know the history of the tool, and if there is a problem with it right out of the box, you can return it without any hassles.
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
pwgsx

Mine looks like the older version of that, its blue, has a grey water tub, with the sliding shelf.........I used that same one with no issues but the water pump going out BUT it cut just fine. I also then cut bricks with it building a outside kitchen area. Still running strong. No issues
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Franko

Ouch -- I didn't realize Chicago Electric was related to Harbor tools. Enough said. Thanks for making that connection for me.
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yeah, actually my partner bought one a couple of years ago and it's still running strong. Make no mistake, it isn't a Target or a Felker...but it still works and still cuts straight......For $200 bucks, pretty hard to beat.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

My dad bought one but it was an older model. Like Laz said, it's not a top of the line saw but it wasn't bad for what he paid for it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
prostuff1

I recently picked up the 7in bridge saw version. I have been using it for about the last week and i really do like it. For what i paid for it it is completely worth the money. Also try this coupon for some extra money off.

I was borrowing a cheaper saw from a friend but was not impressed (his was a portable table top saw that was extremely cheap). For a little bit more i grabbed the bridge saw from harbor freight and could not be happier. I have been impressed with the cuts and am planning to use the saw for the bathroom project next year and the first floor reno that will likely happen the year after that.
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
pwgsx

Yea if you dont plan to do tile for a living and this is weekend project I would buy it. H.F. will also return used items if they dont work or you were not happy with it.
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Franko

I just re-read the Tile Saw Appendix in "Tile Your World." I am planning to do a project with 18" tiles, and had planned to lay them diagonally, which means my cuts would be 25 and 1/2" long. To get that long of a cut, i would need a really big tile saw -- a lot bigger than most of the ones in the under $300 market that I've seen.

If you're going to cut 18" tiles diagonally, is buying a really big tile saw your only option? I assume you can't reliably cut diagonals on a manual tile cutter?

What do you guys do in this situation??
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A "Bridge Saw," mentioned above should do it for you.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
prostuff1

With the bridge saw I linked above I could, if I had to, get a 26in long tile in there. A masonry block would have to be a little bit shorter because of the added thickness.
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Franko

Can you snap tile diagonally with a manual tile cutter?
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

With a GOOD quality unit and with SOME tile....yes, you can. "Reliably" and "Every Time?" Unlikely...............a wet saw is preferred.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase