Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
ELF3

Advice on Underlayment and matching 3/4” hardwoods

Hello all,
I’d like to ask for your help on choosing the appropriate product to go under my tile. Let me know if I’m missing any necessary specs:

Name:  IMG_0850.PNG
Views: 95
Size:  110.6 KB

2x8 joists with bands underneath, 16” OC in this area. Joists are running 7’ between the girders/piers. I have actual 3/4” AdvanTech glued and nailed down.

I’m using a roughly 3/8” thick mosaic tile, so Ditra or Ditra XL is out. I’m afraid 1/2” CBU would put me higher than the neighboring 3/4” to be installed hardwoods, but wasn’t sure if 1/4” CBU would be enough support. What do you recommend go over the Advantech to try and mate these surfaces cleanly? It’s a 5x5 bathroom, so cost isn’t a huge issue. Ive attempted to search and not not ask repetitive questions and I’ve read about (green skin, noble, or MAPEI) but those would almost be too low without something additional. Thanks in advance, you all are a wealth of knowledge.
Unread 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Those more expert than I will come along, but 1/4" CBU is fine on the floor, recommended, even.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
ELF3

Thanks Jeff. I checked HardieBacker’s site and they agreed. Just looking at the stuff in store, it appears flimsy.
Unread 02-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Had you checked DitraXL? It was designed specifically to address your issue, but that also assumes your tile is compatible (at least 2x2").

Wedi approves the use of their panels on a floor. Those come in various thicknesses, generally in 1MM increments that might work for you.

Schluter had been testing their KerdiBoard panels to be used in the same manner, but I never heard back from them on the result of their testing...you could give them a call to see if that might work for you.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

Hardi is flimsy! Its job is not to provide structure, it's to provide a good surface for laying tile. If our Advantech is layed properly, 1/4" Hardi (or any other 1/4" CBU) could be just what you need, assuming the tile is not natural stone.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
ELF3

Jim,
Yes, I’m planning on mosaic tile in this particular room. I believe I will try Ditra XL on the other two rooms as the 175 sq. ft. roll would be about right and I’d like to try it out. When you consider putting a waterproof membrane on top of the CBU, Ditra doesn’t sound nearly as expensive. Thanks all!
Unread 02-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think you'll need a 1/4 inch backer board and from there I would check the height. With the 1/4 inch and thinset underneath it you might be close enough. Remember to have a small gap between the hardwood and tile. At that point, if you're within 1/16th to the height of the hardwood you'll probably be OK.

You could also add a layer of 1/8 inch Wedi board on top which would give you a waterproof layer but their board is 1/8"+. Also, it needs to be thinset down.

So you might try to purchase some Ardex Feather Finish or Mapei Planipatch and just feather the entrance of the room a little bit higher. You can do this on top of the cement board.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase