Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
jjhugel

Finishing Help!

Hey Everyone!

I just bought my first house in June and am new to renovations which is exciting but also stressful haha.

I know my project isn’t perfect; and I should’ve looked into this a bit more, but I’m wondering if there’s any way to finish my top and corner edges? I attached a picture to show what I’m talking about. I also didn’t tile all the way down the side of the tub, and now the drywall along the edge has bubbled a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Note: I do need to fix up some drywall as well)

Josh
Attached Images

Unread 02-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
greenjp

Sorta too late now but there's a thing called an edge profile that's specifically made for this purpose. Schluter makes them and if you stroll the tile section of your local big box store you'll find 'em made by other random companies. They come in 8-9' lengths which you cut to fit. The trick is there's an anchoring leg that goes underneath the tile to secure it, so it's installed while you're setting the tile. I suppose you could get one, slice off the anchoring leg, and then use an adhesive to stick it to the wall.

Or you could get some bullnose tile and add another row. If they're available matching your tiles they'll come in a 2x6 or similar rectangular size.

You should tile down the along the side of the tub to the floor, which will help somewhat with that water damage you're getting.

If you don't mind going a little bit ghetto look up "tub splash guard". You'll get the picture. A little cheesy but very effective.
Unread 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
speed51133

the easiest fix would have been what is called an edge profile. Google image search "schluter rondec" and "schluter quadec".

unfortunately, these need to be installed while you are setting the tile. it is too late now.

you can either add a bullnose tile or add a pencil edge along the entire edge.

just curious, what is behind the tile? is that drywall? how did you waterproof?
Unread 02-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

This is a good place for a mudcap. Also called radius cap. Comes in 2x6 with a radius back to the drywall. Also available in outside corners for top corner. Bring it all the way down to the floor outside the tub.
Unread 02-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
jjhugel

Thanks for the replys. I know I’m a bit late for the top edge, i wish would’ve Used the edge profile for top as I did the sides. What sort of adhesive would you suggest to stick it the edge of the tile/wall? For going down the tub, i would have to add another piece of edge profile to make it consistent with the rest of the edge but there would be a line where they would join.

Mike, I used Kerdi board for behind the tile!

Josh
Unread 02-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
HooKooDoo Ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhugel
I used Kerdi board for behind the tile!
And what is your water proof layer?
Unread 02-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
speed51133

kerdi board is waterproof, assuming he installed it correctly.
Unread 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
CharlesInRichmond

where is the water damage coming from? I'd certainly want to understand that. it doesn't look like condensation

In that situation I've actually done a surround with rabbetted pvc lumber, looks very nice and goes on quickly.
Unread 02-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
jjhugel

Help!

Anyone know if I can remove some of this mortar, and make the profile edge flush with the wall??

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Kman

Josh, let's keep all questions related to this project on this thread, so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place.

I would use some painter's caulk to fill that gap up to the back edge of the profile. Once painted to match walls, it'll look fine.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
jjhugel

Okay I will, thanks Kman.

For painters caulk, you would get caulking to match the paint? I plan to add an extra row of tile, and put a profile edge on the top as well. I will need to extend the profile edging on the side but it will only be the length of a tile or so (4”), do you think that should work or will it look terrible?

Thanks
Unread 02-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
jjhugel

Conclusion

Okay so I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to cut the profile edge instead of adding another row of tile. The reason being is that the piece I would have to add along the vertical edge of the shower tile wouldn’t match up nicely. My only question would be, what should I use to fix the cut profile edge to the tile? I was thinking either grout, mortar, or some sort of glue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Attached are some pictures.
Attached Images

Unread 02-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd probably use a small bead of PL Premium trying to avoid letting any mash out. Let it set before grouting or caulking.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase