Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
JerseyDIYguy

Backer board for exterior use?

I have a garage with wood siding and I'm going to re-side it with vinyl. I'd like to strip the existing siding and sheathing off of the bottom 8 to 10 inches and install a strip of tile backer board and a few courses of brick-face or concrete look tiles. Then I'd strip the siding above that and go with vinyl siding from there up to the eaves.

The bottom 8" of the exterior gets a lot of water splashed against it and in heavy rains gets a small bit of ponding. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about the ponding due to the contours of the surrounding yard.

I'm looking for suggestions for backer board to use under the brick face tile. In a perfect world I'd use a strip of Kerdi Board or Durock Foam backer board and make the bottom 8" highly resistant to water. However, I'm not sure if those products will work well over many hot/cold seasons outdoors in New Jersey.

Suggestions about backer board?

I'm also looking for a good source of brick and concrete look exterior tiles.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Entirely up to you, Warren, but let me suggest you at least consider finishing the entire exterior with HardiPlank siding. Impervious to most weather conditions, holds paint extremely well, is easy to install, and not at all expensive.

The HardiBacker, on the other hand, I don't believe is suitable as an exterior backing material in your climate. You might wanna look at some of the other actual CBU products out there. I don't know which are available as 4x8 sheets, but I'd lean toward one of them.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 AM   #3
JerseyDIYguy

Thanks for the suggestion on the Hardie Siding. I'll check it out.

Definitely not going to use Hardiebacker as backerboard for the lower strip. I'd use either a true cement board (Durock) or a foam board. My preference would be to use a foam board like Wedi, Kerdi, or Durock foam board if they will hold up in an exterior application. I
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #4
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

DO NOT use Hardie siding close to the ground in a wet area. It will absorb water and when that water freezes, it will blow the siding apart.

Nothing at all wrong with using Vinyl siding close to the ground. Consider using pressure treated plywood for your sheathing on the bottom two or four feet of the wall.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
DO NOT use Hardie siding close to the ground in a wet area.
Close to the ground, Rich? What would you consider close to the ground?

For the siding, any siding, to "absorb water" it would need to be touching the water source and that would be a design problem regardless the type of siding used.

And I guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree on the use of pressure treated plywood in an exterior wall sheathing application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
JerseyDIYguy

The main reason I'd like to install a strip of tile or concrete at the bottom edge of the garage is that the existing siding does touch the ground in places. Fortunately, only the siding and bottom few inches of sheathing are damaged. The sill plate and joists are unaffected.

Since I can't really correct the water/ground contact issue directly I figured I'd install something highly resistant to water damage at the bottom edge of the walls.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

A foam board won't absorb moisture, cbu will. Ideally, you don't want any wood siding closer than about a foot from the ground. Unlike interior work, I don't think I'd be comfortable with foam without some sheeting material behind it for strength, then you'd have to potentially deal with the fire rating, but covered in tile, it probably isn't an issue. More potential impact issues on an exterior wall than an interior one.

The biggest issue with fiber-cement board siding is not following the instructions...there are some very specific instructions (not hard, just maybe counter-intuitive) that must be followed for it to work properly. It can come already factory painted, and fast to install. You'd want a power shear to cut it so you get a nice, clean, fast cut without dust, though.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
JerseyDIYguy

A foam board would be preferred. However, I've checked Kerdi, Wedi, and USG's websites and none of them state outright that their foam boards are suitable for exterior applications like mine. So I'm a bit stumped and thinking about maybe Durock with Redguard. Basically the lower strip would be built like a shower enclosure.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

It will be tough to keep moisture from getting behind the stuff, especially if it is in contact with the ground. Moisture can wick a fair ways up through cbu.

Maybe a call to the respective tech support line is in order.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
JerseyDIYguy

I spoke with Wedi tech support and they are ok with using their board in exterior applications so long as the surface is vertical. I asked about using it close to the ground and they expressed concern about possible ice build up or frost heave pressing on the tiled surface which makes sense. I'm thinking I'll install horizontal blocking behind the top of the Wedi board so it will be attached at the vertical studs (16" o.c.), the sill plate, and at the blocking 8"-10" above the sill plate.

Now off to find a source for Wedi board...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase