Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
chronojosh

Grouting Brick Floors

So, I did a few searches and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here it goes. I recently installed thin brick pavers (9/16" thick) over some Wedi board in my mudroom. The brick was installed in a herringbone patter with 1/4" spacers and the room is ~ 125 sqft. My questions have to do with grouting the brick.
1) Pre-seal or don't pre-seal the brick? I have been told and read about both ways, and I am concerned about grout on the very porous surface.

2) What would be my best option for grout for this area? I have used epoxy grout before, but never for brick, so I am worried about clean up. And I might not be able to grout it all in one sitting, so I am also worried about color consistency.

3) Due to not being able to finish in one go around, would pre-mixed (Mapei Colorflex CQ) be a good choice?

4) Having never worked with a grout bag or used brick tile before, how would I achieve a grout line flush with the tile? I don't want to tool it like how wall bricks have grooved mortar joints.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
CaliGrown

Make your own grout from Portland, sand and dye for color, if grey you can use mason mix and dye accordingly. Or I suppose you could use basic cement based grouts. Go through with your trowel and tuck pointer and let it firm up before stricking it off flush with the bricks. Brush for clean up, wire brush for anything stubborn and a sponge if need be to blend things in. If any haze develops do a thorough cleaning with diluted vinegar and water.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
chronojosh

Interesting, I have never mixed my own with any dyes before. I don't think I am that skilled, hence why I wanted to use something with a bit more idiot proofing. I know that acrylic grouts, like the flexcolor, shouldn't be used in showers, but what about in a mudroom? It would never be submerged, but may seen some wet spots from umbrellas on the floor, or snow melting off of shoes and puddling on the floor.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Dave Gobis
da Man!

If you have never grouted brick pavers before or have any doubt, use a grout release. I wouldn't mess with making my own custom grout color unless you have a lot of experience. This the recommendation from a guy who started tiling when there were only five colors to chose from.
Dave Gobis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We use to mix sand and Portland for Saltillo and pavers. We also used blasting sand and Portland. Custom makes Saltillo grout mix, not sure where to find it. It was easy to work with. It's gray in color.
https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-131.pdf

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

Home Depot here has it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
chronojosh

Thanks for the recommendation on the grout release. I don't want grout all over the tile, so would a grout bag be the way to go then? Also, what would be the recommended grout type if I wasn't going to make my own? Like I said, I was thinking either pre-mixed or epoxy due to color consistency.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase