Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
cai24

Replacing Tile In Front of and Around Fireplace - Gypcrete Subfloor

I am looking to replace the tile in front of my fireplace. I recently purchased a 2nd floor condo and am in the process of remodeling it. I am installing hardwood floors, so it would be a good time to do this. Ideally, I would like to run the hardwood right to the fireplace, but I'm not sure if this would be a hassle. From a code standpoint, I believe this would be okay (electric fireplace). There is a gypcrete subfloor, and I don't how difficult it will be to remove the thinset. The gypcrete seems to crack fairly easily. I did read somewhere that you can install tile over tile. I'm not sure if that's a bad idea, but it's something that I would consider. For the wall, I'm leaning toward AirStone from Lowe's, but I'm open to anything. I don't have any experience with this product. If anyone has used it, I'd be curious to hear your input.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Tile over tile is an option if the existing tile is in good condition and well bonded.

The only way to know how difficult it might be to remove the thinset mortar under the existing tile is to try it. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

Your condo association knows you plan to install hardwood flooring?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Chris.

I second CX’s question about the condo association knowing about your plan to install a floor that will transmit noise fairly well into the condo below.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
cai24

I already have approval from the HOA for the hardwood floors. It’s the first thing I did when I moved in. I have a good underlayment, and I’ve had no complaints from the bottom neighbor. She is on the board, and she wouldn’t hesitate to let me know if there was an issue.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase