Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
zonetrap

Thank you everyone. You are all nuts...joking. Talking to my better half about ripping out the walls and the concrete base and starting over.

So second question, its a custom shower size and I go back to studs. What is the system I should go with?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #17
rmckee84

Thats really up to you or your tile installer. I dictate materials on my installs because in the end I am responsible for how it functions. Laticrete, schluter, USG, and many others have shower systems that are user friendly and very dependable when installed correctly.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
zonetrap

OK cool.

So I need to take off the cement board, that isnt too tough. And then chip out the concrete. And then probably look at the curb as well.

So back to the studs and go from there. Do they make custom shower pans so I don't have to use concrete?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You mentioned earlier that you have a tile man. Are you going to tile it back or is he? If he is, I would talk to him to see what method he is most comfortable with. Then check with us each step of the way so we can make sure he's doing it right.

Edit; If you look in the dark blue bar above you'll see "liberry'. Click on it and look for the "shower construction info" thread. There you'll find how to mud the shower curb John was talking about.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 06-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
zonetrap

Will do Davy!

I think the tile man will tile it back. But I can do the basic demo (take off CB, chip out the concrete base). And once I have it back to basics, I can see what he wants to do.

I think you guys pointed out numerous issues and it's just better to start fresh and correctly.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Talk to your tile man and together you can decide which method you want to do. I would want to make that decision before I go back with anything. In other words, if you want to go back with a surface applied membrane then you won't need a PVC pan liner.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
zonetrap

I'd like to thank everyone for the pointers. Thank you very much. Ill have this shower area prepped right soon.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #23
zonetrap

Been reviewing all kinds of goodies under liberry and on my own. Really liking the KRBS pans with curb built in.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase