Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #46
Kman

Glad to be of service!

It was worth the trip since we went to eat at Red, Hot, and Blue BBQ after leaving your house. Pretty good grub, and the missus said it was the best barbecue chicken she's ever eaten.

Then we drove by the garage apartment where Bonnie and Clyde hid out for two weeks in 1933. Pretty neat to see a piece of history, including the bullet holes in the walls from the shootout when they made their escape.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #47
MolecularMan

Oh nice! I'm glad you found some good stuff!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #48
MolecularMan

So, really strange. The builder just did a total 180. He called me this afternoon to figure out a date range to do some other work on the house.
He apologized for our interactions and had a totally different tone.

I'm not sure if the long weekend gave him time to reflect or if he talked to some other folks or what. Either way it was a much better conversation. I had really gotten to the point where I was just preparing docs and getting things in order for a lawsuit as I didn't want to argue with him about every issue I bring up.

So hopefully we've turned a corner and can get everything resolved.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #49
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That's good to hear. Keep us posted.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #50
MolecularMan

Thought I would give an update.

They have ripped out the shower and prepped it. Will do the liner and mortar bed tomorrow.

The builder apparently looked up info on the mastic he used, and only then he realized that it shouldn't be used between a topical membrane and tile. I don't know if it was just that, that made him change his approach, or if he talked to others. But either way, I'm happy he changed.

The report that Kman sent was really helpful. The builder, having now seen what a pro says, really had no where to go with it. He admitted he was wrong. He even went so far as to say he has now done a lot of research and is actually excited that he can put a better product into is homes now. So if nothing else - it sounds like other folks will end up with a better shower out of this as well.

We will see how tomorrow goes. My hope is that the end result will be a shower that I know will last for years to come, and hopefully is done to a slightly higher aesthetic standard - but we shall see.

On a side note: This process is really frustrating because the builder just hasn't been upfront with me. All the issues I've seen in the house (aside from the shower) are apparently the result of him hiring a different crew. I found out today that they had issues with these people and they had to go in last minute and try to fix everything. That explains why there are so many issues in the house, but I just don't know why he wasn't upfront with this in the first place. Instead, he initially acted like I'm the jerk and I'm being picky. Now all the sudden its "Yeah, the other crew really messed up."
Old 06-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
mark999

Are they going to do a flood test of the pan liner? That would be a good idea.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #52
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Make sure the surface under the pan liner has slope toward the drain. That gives the liner slope. You don't want them to lay the liner on a flat floor. That's where stagnant water in the mudbed becomes a problem.

Also, make sure they apply the glue on pan corners on each side where the curb meets the jamb.

There's pics of this in the "shower construction info" thread in the "liberry". Check out the dark blue bar above to find the liberry.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #53
MolecularMan

No leak test that I am aware of. They could have did it, but who knows. I'd probably bet not.

There is a ply subfloor that they pre-sloped (4 quadrants) He then went in and added a bit of concrete mix around the drain to make a softer slope. Today they did the liner, hardibacker set above the floor with mesh tape and aquadefense all over, then did the mortar bed.

So tomorrow they plan to tile the walls one row up from the floor. Then likely they will end up doing the floor and the rest next week I guess.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #54
cx
Da Home Builder

Rather questionable method of creating a pre-slope, John, but I suppose it's possible to make it work. You take any photos you can post?

What did they use for a liner?

How thick is the final mud bed?

Is the bottom of the Hardibacker set into the final mud bed?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #55
MolecularMan

Here are a few pictures. Wish I would have snapped more when it was just the liner..etc.

The liner is an Oatey 40 mil.

The hardibacker is set above the final mud bed. I made sure we were clear on that, lol.

The depth of the mud bed - I believe is a little over an inch. They sat strips of wood in as a guide, then pulled them out and filled them in and such. The strips are a little over an inch in thickness.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #56
makethatkerdistick

So, is this a pre-fabricated niche? Or how's the water proofing done on it otherwise? It seems like it remained during the tearout.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #57
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I suppose you're stuck with whatever they give you. Like Cx said, I'm not crazy about it so far. They went to a lot of trouble to make an inferior preslope.

I'd ask them how they intend to prep the curb. That's where most leaks start.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 06-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #58
MolecularMan

Yeah, it's frustrating.

It is a lot of time and effort. I sent my wife and kids away for a few days so they could do all the work around the house. We've lived in the house for over a month and a half now and have to keeping dealing with the stress and inconvenience of getting all of this somewhat rectified.

So it is what it is at this point. Honestly, if there is an issue now, I'll just pay out of my own pocket. In a few months we will be recovered from buying a house, moving, buying extra stuff for the house..etc..etc. I'll just pay extra and make Kman come up to do it

The guy genuinely is trying his best, but he lacks the knowledge and skill to do it to the level that it should really be done - but with an added bonus of being a bit arrogant like he knows better.

They are doing the wall tile and he seemed happy with the coverage he was getting, until I pointed out he isn't collapsing his ridges and he should back butter the tile. I even went as far as showing him a video from the NTCA with the clear tile to demonstrate how you achieve 95% coverage.

He was slapping the tile on and just pressing it. I told him he needs to back butter, then put the tile on and shift side to side to collapse the ridges. I'm 100% correct, but they tend to take an attitude not like "Oh wow, yeah that's way better" more like "Okay this jerk who doesn't do this for a living is trying to tell us how to do it"

The niche was hardibacker with aqua defense all over it. When they redid the walls, they did the fiber mesh tape around and aqua defense.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #59
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Well, looks like you originally had large tiles. Not sure if the new tiles are large or small. When installing small tiles, such as 3x6, 4x4 or 6x6, we usually don't back butter but we do make sure thinset transfers onto the backs of the tiles. So skimming the backs isn't something that's done 100% of the time.

I would ask for smaller tiles for the shower floor. They will fit the slope of the floor much better than large tiles.

We estimate that 4 out of 5 showers are installed incorrectly so we have seen just about everything. We know how frustrating it can be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #60
smifwal

If he don't like people telling him how to do his job then he should take more pride in his trade and learn how to do it correctly.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase