Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
adefields

Removing and Replacing A Section of Kerdi Membrane

Hi all-

Not sure if this warrants a new thread, but I couldn't find any info from a search. I am installing the Schluter shower system and I noticed that the Kerdi shower valve cover that I installed has a pretty good size air pocket behind it, and it is wrinkled because I didn't cut the hole for it quite big enough. I'd like to remove it and reinstall a new one, and I suspect this will ruin the kerdi membrane behind it (and part of that membrane isn't sticking to the wall anyway, hence the air pocket).

Any advice on cutting out a section of the Kerdi membrane and replacing it with a new section? I'm looking at maybe a 20 inch by 20 inch section around the shower valve. I would of course, put Kerdi band over the seems. My biggest concern is will the new thinset stick over the old/dried thinset? Do I need to try to scrape most of that off without damaging the wall? Any tips or tricks here?

Thanks,

Adam
Unread 01-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Adam.

Yup, new thinset mortar will stick just fine to old thinset mortar. Scrape off as much of the old as you can, and you don't have to worry about the wall board too much since you're just covering with Kerdi again, but of course don't take any large divots out of it.

Instead of covering the seams with band, just size your new piece so that it will over lap the old by at least 2" on all sides.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Adam!

Yeah, I’d simply cut a single patch large enough to not need any KerdiBAND. While the KerdiBAND is thinner, you’d otherwise have a double overlap of the KerdiBAND at the corners anyways. So, I’d go with a single patch.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase