Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
mcguigan

Proper structural support for subfloor

Where can I locate details to build the correct support needed for our converted deck. As weekend warriors, my husband (Handy-Habitat-Hubby) has converted our outdoor deck into a year-round sun room. He is doing a fantastic job but now comes the flooring support. The room is 22' x 12' and we have cream colored 8" hexagon quarry tile with red square (1/2" thick) that we are glazing and want to use in this room. I am hearing from a number of different sources that quarry must be set in mud and that the subfloor should have the two layers of alternating 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood. I am concerned that the current supports to hold up the deck will not be sufficient. Can you direct me to materials that can help us properly determine subfloor support required, and what is the best way to construct a solid subfloor so that the installation will be sound?
Thanks for your feedback.
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
bbcamp

Norma, you can use our Deflectolator tool to determine if your current (or planned) joists are adequate. 2 layers of 3/4" plywood will be plenty for your subfloor. 2 layers of 5/8" would be fine, too. The only other advise is to verify that your supports are sunk into the ground past the frost line and the deck is well braced against the house.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Norma.

In addition to what Injineer Bob said, all your subflooring layers should be oriented with the face grain perpendicular to the floor joists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma
and that the subfloor should have the two layers of alternating 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood.
What you have suggested there would not be correct as I understand your meaning.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase