Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Shawn Prentice

Order of operations for multiple units of Spectralock

I will be grouting a job Monday that will take about 4 full units of Spectralock. This is my first time doing an area that requires more than 1 full unit. Could someone please advise me or link me to a thread on how to approach this.

I think I'm supposed to mix one unit at a time, but do I complete the clean-up (first and second) before mixing another? Or do my first cleaning, then mix up another and run that out? I know if I don't do this in the right order I will most likely create problems for myself.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Floor, ceiling, walls, wide open, cut up???? My method would change somewhat depending on what you've got...

I typically premix all part C's. Then spread and initial clean 1st unit. Depending on how long that takes and temperature, I'd probably spread (& maybe initial clean) 2nd unit before final cleaning 1st. I'm usually conservative on the 1st unit to gauge how things go, then adjust from there.

Last few showers were almost a full commercial unit and that's how I did it, except I didn't premix all the C's as there were lots of walls, angles and ceiling to break things up - never had color issues with Spectra Lock.

With another competent body, I may spread 2 units at a time. These are typically very sweaty days for me....

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If I don't need very much grout at one time, I have carefully measured the units in half and made half batches. Not supposed to do that but I would rather spread a small area than too big an area.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I've never premixed all my part C's together just made sure they are from same batch #.

Like dhagin said a lot depends on what you are grouting. Pebbles that suck up a batch in 20 sqft or 24" with 1/16" joints?

I usually like some help on larger epoxy jobs. Mix one batch we both start spreading. When it is ready to clean I drop back while my helper keeps spreading.

If buy yourself depending on tile and grout joint size I would spread one batch and do first wipe. Then repeat..

Either way I would spread and first wipe everything. Then do the final cleaning at one time.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
This is my first time doing an area that requires more than 1 full unit.
I'd mix your first unit spread it and clean it to completion. Catch your breath, admire your handywork, and do unit #2 to completion.

As said above, there are variables, but I'd rather just complete the unit I have mixed so i only have one clock ticking at once.

Also, I like having the final clean done on most of the project before I mix my last batch for the job. Gives you an opportunity to catch any spots that might need another bit of grout and you can get it on the last batch.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

I agree with Brannigan.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Shawn.......... from this DIY'r who has done multiple Spectralock unit grouting a few times..... I do what Brannigan and Mark say too.

It works.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Shawn Prentice

Thanks for the input.

Dana, the project is all walls in a small 5x7 bathroom (the floor is done), but with quite a bit of tile. Mainly 4x8 subway-1/8" joints, but one 50 SF wall is completely tiled with different size pieces and varying size joints from 1/16- to 3/16 or so (pic below.)

Davy, I should be able to at least run out 1 unit at a time on this one. Out of curiosity, what are you using to measure out your portions? Volume for the liquid, weight for the powder?

I will be solo, as always.

I think Isaac's idea might get the grout spread quicker, but Brannigan's plan is definitely safer. At least until I see how things go.

I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if I run out in the middle of a wall with the 1 unit as long as my part Cs are all the same lot, right?
Attached Images

Unread 08-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
bbcamp

Right. The color match and blend is very good. You won't notice where one batch ends and another begins.

Divide portions by either weight or volume. Easier by weight if you have an accurate scale for those low weights.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Shawn Prentice

Thanks Bob!
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Shawn, I take a few plastic cups that I get from a Bar-B-Q joint. It has writing on the side so I can fill each one exactly the same height. I just cut the batch in half, same with the powder, cut it in half.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Shawn,

For a bathroom that size you probably don't want a helper. Get kind of crowded. I would definitely go at whatever pace you feel comfortable with.

Do you have a copy of the Spectralock instructions? They have some good tips on the timing for the cleanup.

They say wait 20-30 minutes after spreading before starting 1st cleaning. And 1 hour after 1st cleaning to do final wash.

Especially on walls you do want to give it some time to set up before first wipe.

I always set aside a little bit of the grout from my last batch to use for any minor touchups on the final wash.

And even if you get it perfectly clean, always come back first thing the next morning to do an inspection. It should be fine, but if there is any clear haze you can get it off then, any longer and it will be almost impossible.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Shawn Prentice

Thanks Davy.

Thanks Isaac. This will be my fourth time using it and your advice is excellent. The first time, I got on the initial clean-up too quick. The second time, I took a coffee break before the first cleaning and it worked well.

So, do you also let it set-up for a few minutes before grouting walls too (not 20-30, but 5 or 10)?
Unread 08-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Agree with above. If all Part C's are same lot # no premix needed. I've never had any color differences with multiple units but still stop in corners if I can - depending on how many units / areas left to grout. Just cautious i guess.

I think someone mentioned here once about wiping with a damp micro fiber if you happen to get on the clean-up a little too soon and it starts running out of the joints. Worked for me.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The biggest mistake I made with epoxy grout was last winter. I had the grout in my truck on the way to the job, it was probably in the 30's that morning. I took it in and started grouting in a occupied house that was warm, very warm. I should have given the grout time to warm up but I didn't, just went in and started grouting. The grout didn't want to set in the joint but wanted to set too fast on the face. That was frustrating.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase