Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
JenK

Non-shower bathroom walls/ceiling - what to use?

I am a first time DIY'er planning on using drywall with Kerdi in my shower, and ditra on my floor.

I am having trouble deciding what to do with the walls and ceiling in the rest of the bathroom. They will be partially tiled, and partially painted. The wall behind the stand alone tub will be half/half. I want things to be as moisture resistant as possible, without having to kerdi the whole bathroom.

What would you recommend for my walls/ceiling? Is there anything that I can tile over and paint, and it will be moisture resistant? Should I do the walls/celiling in CBU, and seal it? Greenboard?

Also, I would like to do a tub surround in another bathroom. Would like advice for how to do that as well - I am planning Kerdi over drywall in the tub surround, but what about the rest of the walls/ceiling - they will be mostly painted with some tile accents.

Feel free to give brand names of recommended boards, sealers, etc. Like I said, brand new!

Thanks,
Jen
JenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
bbcamp

Jen, you don't need to Kerdi anywhere except the wet area in the shower (behind the shower curtain/door and below the shower head. Everywhere else you tile, the tile is an adequate moisture barrier to protect the sheetrock. Where you don't tile, a good primer coat followed by one or two coats of a quality latex paint will suffice.

What you really need is a good bathroom exhaust fan with a timer that will allow it to run for about 20 minutes after you leave the bathroom. Keep moisture out of the air, and it won't get into your walls.

There should be plenty of Kerdi tub surround threads to look at.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
JenK

Thanks BBCamp. Would you recommend regular drywall, then, for the whole bathroom? Would greenboard perhaps add a little more of a barrier, or would hardibacker at least be more firm to install on? I am also talking about water splashing on the walls around the tubs (kids...).

Thanks,
Jen
Unread 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jen,

Greenboard is Sheetrock with green paper. All you need is regular old sheetrock (covered with Kerdi in the shower area.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
JenK

So you're saying that if I need to tile a wall behind a free-standing tub, without using Kerdi, the best thing to use is regular old sheetrock? I thought sheet rock for under Kerdi - but it's really the best thing to use under tiled walls?
Unread 05-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the tub is a drop in on a deck, you might want to waterproof the deck and maybe a few inches up the walls, but it's not like a shower where you expect the walls to get wet all the time. If the tub is in an alcove with a tiling flange, you might want to use kerdiband around the top of the tub/wall junction. Greenboard isn't any improvement over regular drywall, really.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
JenK

Tub is a stand alone tub, kind of like a claw foot, but with no feet! I was just thinking about the kids splashing... so I guess I will just drywall the walls with regular drywall and install wall tile directly in the drywall with no proofing.

Does this mean that ditra on the floors in overkill then? Maybe I should just put drywall on the floor too?

: ) Jen
Unread 05-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure you're joking!

Walls generally aren't walked on! So, because floors get a lot more variables in load and therefore move more, a decoupling layer is required. Ditra is a very good example of that. It has the advantage in that it is also waterproof. You could waterproof the room by putting kerdiband on the seams of Ditra and up the walls at the edges, but unless you have a water fight in there regularly, is way overkill.

Some people like to tile the whole room, put a drain in the middle of the floor, and hose it down! Then, the whole room needs to be built like a shower.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase