Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Scuba_Dave
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Time to get a decent tile saw

I'm on my 2nd house, this one a keeper, the last one simply a fixer upper (built in 1905). This is a pic of my last tub enclosure. 4x4 tiles on the walls, 12 x 12 on the floor. The floor was heated by air flowing underneath between the floor joists. I bought a HD QEP 1/3 hp, 7" blade

New house I'm tiling the bath on 1st floor (done) & the hallway (in process)
I put electric radiant heat down in the bath, & continued it into the hallway.
I used the wire - 329' foot spool that was about the same as the much smaller mat at HD

I used 6x 10 tiles in the shower this time (hated the 4x4). Also put in a mural.
I'm finding the saw is slowing down (could be blade), also seems to be no longer cutting straight. I loaned it to a friend, who use dit in his bath & kitchen. So for $50 I did get my $$ worth. I am going to be tiling the kitchen, a 225' sunroom (to be built), plus the upstairs bath/steam shower
So I've decided that a new saw is needed
Lowes/HD have the QEP 1.5 hp 8" bridge saw
Debating that or a better saw with plunge capabilities
My last house I scraped by & bought what would get my thru.
Now I look for tools that will last
Thoughts & ideas?
Thanks
-Dave

hmmm...couldn't link to my pics
Attached Images

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Dave.

Some have alright success with the QEP saws, but I'm a fan of spending the most you can on a tool to get the best out of it. So I'm not one that would jump at that...'specially a bridge saw.

I might think in another direction and ask you if you've considered spending some of that money on a decent tile snapper. Not an expesive $300 snapper, but something in the $100 range. Snapping tiles is a lot faster than cutting them and if you are going to be doing a lot of floor work with cut edges that aren't exposed, a snapper may be a good tool for you. You can use it for the shower on all the cuts that will be covered by perpendicular wall tiles. All the exposed cuts can be done with your existing saw possibly.

About your existing little saw...sounds like your saw blade is going dull. Take a look at this article in the Liberry on: Sharpen your Diamond Saw Blade.

Oh, and one question...is that an outside wall that the shower mixer valve is on? Around here, it gets too cold and the pipes would freeze. How cold does it get around there?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
kevincook

Dave,

Where were you yesterday? You could have bought the Felker TM-75 saw for $158 after rebate. It's over $300 today.

They have been on sale here for the last couple of months.

http://tileyourworld.constructioncom...FLK0036JB.html

Sorry,
Kevin
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Scuba_Dave
Extreme DIY Homeowner

The QEP has been a good saw for the little $$ I spent
My next tile jobs are a ways off, so I can wait for a sale
I have to finish 2nd floor dormer. Just some wiring to finish up & a little bit of internal framework. Then rough wire inspection & framing, then insulation & inspection. Then I can start the walls & bathroom
Possibly in the spring

I have to then build the sunroom & take down the kitchen wall to open the kitchen to the new sunroom. Then tile both once kitchen renovation is done
I would prefer a decent plunge saw. The tools I have bought in the past were inexpensive. The tools I have been buying at this house I want to last (not moving). Amazing what a new skil saw (cuts like a hot knife thru butter) & a good mitre saw (instead of hand mitre plastic box!) due to my skills

House is from the 50's, I'm going thru & upgrading
Service feed was buried as it was over where the new 24x36' garage is going
I decide since I had a backhoe I might as well dig a ditch & bury the feeds
2nd floor electric has been upgraded as has a lot of the 1st floor

Yes that is an outside wall, I was not sure why they did it that way originally
There is a closet on the other side. But due to the drainage they put it on the outside wall. I did insulate the wall w/R-13, they only had the old R-7 in there. So I am confident it will not freeze - located South of Boston - MA.
I did consider swapping it around, but there is a pool table in the basement & the pipes would have been right in the way

At my last house I did buy a $80 tile snapper, I just didn't have any skill at snapping the tiles. So I returned that & for less $$ bought the QEP

Here's the pic of my old bath
I also tiled the backsplash in the kitchen. I'll be doing the same I think in this kitchen (up to the wife)

It will be nice to have the hallway finished up & grouted
I started this project last December. But due to Conservation (stream on property) we only had 2 years to START all the work. Anything not started during that time the Conservation permit runs out & we have to go bacj before them & pay fees all over again
So this is my year to finish up my projects (then start New garage, sunroom, great room & renovate kitchen). MY 10 year plan for the house, going into year 3
Attached Images

Unread 01-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Scuba_Dave
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Thanks for the link on sharpening
I'll have to give that a try & take a good look at my blade

But I'd be just as happy to give this saw away (after I finish the last 10 tiles) for cheap $$ & buy a decent one
Unread 01-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
JoEllen

We've been using the QEP bridge saw that you are considering. DIY'ers having used it so far without any problems for doing ~200sq ft porcelein floor tiles and ~50 sq ft of granite. Just bought it a new Green hornet blade from Master Wholesale, as the original blade was just wore out! This one is great and should last a long time.
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Here's a deal.....but won't be there long.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Felker-10-Wet-Cu...QQcmdZViewItem
Unread 01-02-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
dl

I've got the QEP bridge saw and am pretty pleased - for the price. I went for it because of the capacity for a reasonable price, but overall it has worked out pretty well. The main downside is a rather crude and difficult to adjust square mechanism, but with larger tiles just firmly hand-holding works well. The laser pointer is indispensable for making precision cuts. I had a modest chipping problem (on one side) but this was resolved by installing a higher quality blade. The motor seems powerful enough and the bridge/sliding mechanism is very good. You can tilt for bevel cut but unfortunately can't plunge, although I just do that with the grinder.

- DL
dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
jpaltzer

I have the 8" QEP bridge saw also. I've been pretty happy with it, I just did 18" tiles on angle and had to cut lots of tiles corner to corner. Got my money's worth just from that one project. It's rated at 1 1/2 HP but I can get it to stall really easy in travertine. I like that its easy to clean up, fold up, and move around. The QEP blade is not very good but I couldn't find another 8" blade locally so I ended up with another QEP blade. My biggest problem with the saw is that it just won't cut straight. I figured it was the blade getting worn and thats why I replaced it, but that didn't fix the problem. On a 12" tile it will be off 1/8" every time. What's really odd, on an 18" tile, it will dip in the middle. Just got the Felker TM-75 because it was too cheap to pass up. Also got an MK Hot Dog blade because I think I prefer porcelin to anything else.
jpaltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Dave,
The Felker saws are thought of very highly on this forum.. I like the TileMaster Plus since it's been opened to cut 16" on a diagonal and 24" in half.. Nice package...
The TM-75 is a great little saw even at $300...
Unread 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
Scuba_Dave
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Well my blade is VERY dull
So I am going to see about sharpening it
At the same time I am going to look at a new blade
I can't imagine a high quality blade came with a $50 (?) saw

I only have maybe 7 tiles left to cut
But it is veering to the side very badly now

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase