Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
MarcusEngley

OT: Decent table saw

Greetings all,

I've had the pleasure of a free, decent Delta table saw on loan from a friend for the last 2 years, but he's returning in a few months. I need to make a case to the Finance Committee to replace it in the not too distant future.

Any recommendations for a good quality, $3-500 saw? Anyone have any experience with this Makita portable? I'd love a saw that was light enough to easily move out of the garage, since most of its use will be outside.
MarcusEngley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I've got a Ryobi BT3100 which I like. Here's a link to a review - http://tinyurl.com/gmsbz

Not sure if you can still get one, I think it has been superceded with a new model.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
wowthatsnice

i have the somewhat portable Bosch 4000-09 10" saw with the wheeled stand. been very pleased with it. check out amazon and their user's reviews and compare with other models. pretty helpful as a start.
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
skydivr

I have the Rigid with the wheeled stand and I love it. It's super accurate, easy to use and easy for 1 person to maneuver with the stand. I think I paid $500.00 for everything.

Dave
skydivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
MarcusEngley

Thanks all, that's a good start for my research. Much obliged.

Anyone else, feel free to toss them out there. Anyone in the Seattle are with a saw for sale, toss that out too!
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
prashster

The makita portable used to be one of the best saws on the mkt but I've heard complaints about recent models. I think a lot of the components were switched to plastic. I don't think it's as durable as it used to be. I still think it's a good buy for the $$.

If I had more $$ I'd get the Bosch portable. That's supposed to be killer.

I ended up buying the Delta TS250. It's not portable. But it's got an induction motor which means it's wicked quiet. Only 1hp, though, so it kinda whines on thicker stock.

The portables have universal motors that are powerful but noisy and don't have as long a life as the inducs.
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

That 10" Makita is a very good portable saw, Marcus. Like all saws of it's type, it suffers most from not having the best of fences. Its fence is as good as most, mind you, just not what you really want.

But there is a most excellent fix for the problem. You get you a Rousseau portable table to go with it.

It will require a bit more, how you say, lobbying of the Finance Committee, perhaps, but you'll end up with a very useful portable saw that will do damn near anything you need on the job site or outside the garage. Here's a picher of my own rig.

Then, of course, you'll wanna get the side extension that has a cutout for your routers mounted on removable plates for quick change, etc. Perhaps your Finance Committee would require some waiting period, but you could begin the additional lobbying effort in advance.
Attached Images

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #8
MarcusEngley

Ooooh, that's purdy... I'm gonna need to draft up a recquisition form...
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
mark11755
Old Guy

Here is the newest Makita saw. Kelly's 2703 is still available for around $320. THis 2704X1 as shown will be somewhere in the $520-$550 range.
Attached Images

Unread 10-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Better still fit inna Rousseau table, there, Bubba.

And what the extry two hunnert dollars for?

If it's for stuff mine don't have, how come ain't nobody even tole me there is a new one? Well?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

Delta First, Bosch for Small Jobs

I've gone through a couple of Makitas, and I think they are junk, especially the fence. I love my Bosch for small single day jobs.

On bigger projects, I just use a Tommy Lift and transport my Delta Contractor's saw, but plan on re-adjusting the trunions.

Neither the Makita nor the Bosch really do plywood sheet goods very well nor the power for a dado blade.

My Delta side extension table was replaced with a router table, so I get a twofer on that score. The Delta has a rear support outfeed table.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Mark, why so expensive? It's still just a plastic housing -universal screamin' motor-so so fence- meant for small stuff- kinda saw.

The hybrids (contractor/cabinet saw) coming out these days are in a similar price range.

Im due for a new portable, my 12 year old Delta is just too beat up to hold still on a table anymore.. I just cant see spending half a grand on something used for ripping extention jambs and such. (And believe me, I love spending money on tools )
Unread 10-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #13
John_LA

If'n you really want a portable the Bosch is the way to go. Now if you really don't need to transport it (other than moving it out of the garage) you might want to consider a good used saw with a "good" mobile base. Check out your local "Craig's List" and newspaper for used saws. One of the best bang's for the buck.
You might even find somebody sellin a Unisaw for that kind of money.
I paid $350 for my 1953 Uni. Some cleanin and some new paint and it was good as new.

Just something else to think about.
Unread 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
MarcusEngley

Appreciate that John -- I definitely don't "need" a portable, though it would save space in the garage to be able to put it on my workbenches instead of next to them. Being able to easily move it in/out of the garage is the only real criteria, since I'm just DIYing it.
Unread 10-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
John_LA

Glad to add to the confusion Marcus.
I see your in WA - there are usually used saws showin up all the time out there. This may sound odd but if you get a non portable - a cabinet saw will take up less space than a contractor saw. Havin the motor in the cabinet makes a big difference in footprint. Something with a fairly short fence and you should be good to go.
My basement WW shop is only 12 x 24 with a lolly column in the middle and the Uni works out pretty well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase