Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
LJN55
Lyle from Cedar Hills, Utah

New Basement Bathroom

I love this forum. I am putting in a new bathroom in my basement. Have framed the bathroom and sheet rocked the areas outside of the shower. I have three questions:

1. I want to tile the floor in the bathroom. What should I do to the toilet? Do I break out some cement aound the pipe, Cut it off and put in flange to finish grade, or just what should I do there?

2. Should I tile up to the 2X4 that I have in place for the shower door? Should I do a curb first or what?

3. I want to do Kurdi in the shower, because I want the shower to be Steamer/shower. The size it 6ft X 4ft. Can I use sheet rock on the walls of the shower, or should I use some kind of dura-rock.

Thanks

LJN55
LJN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
GregO

I envy you on this task!!!

1. PVC toilet drain pipe should be tiled around and then you set and screw the toilet closet flange snugly on top of your finished tile.

2. Curb first, then tile.

3. Use the CBU of your choice (Hardibacker, Durock, Wonderboard, etc.) in any shower application because it is far superior for such moist environments. Greenboard sheetrock is fine for a half-bath or kitchen or outside the shower, but not inside the shower area.
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
David Taylor

Drywall is perfectly fine in a steam shower if you're going to be putting Kerdi on top of it.

CBU can be used, but it will be a much tougher installation. The loose thinset you'll be putting Kerdi on with will have all of its moisture sucked out by the very absorbent CBU. To solve that problem, mist the CBU until it's moist, then apply the Kerdi.

Kerdi's was designed for use with drywall - try not to change the game plan.

As far as the room is concerned, work backwards. Complete the shower first, then the floor outside. You don't want to be tracking things over a freshly-finished floor do you?

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Please, oh please give us a first name. I refuse to call anyone by a number.

I think the Kerdi system is the way to go, also. You can view a video on the Schluter site http://www.schluter.com or Dave will send you one of the CD's he's pilfered from orders of Kerdi-drains he's sent out of his store.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase