Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
RinSF

How to position tile on manual cutter?

Hi…embarrassing newbie question here

I bought a manual tile cutter, and am unclear how people properly place and align tile on these to cut?

What I mean is: The blade is of course super thin and precise…so my expectation was that there’d be a super thin precise line or indicator in the ruler section to show you exactly where it would cut so you could position the tile accurately. Instead, all I see is the center splitting bar (which is 3/16” thick) and not really much else (see pic).

Am I missing something here?? I understand I could draw a line on here or something, but just wanted to ask if there’s a different method? It just seemed odd that there’s not a more fine indicator line to align your cut mark to. (To be sure, it's not a professional cutter, but photos of other similar brands seem to be identical.)

Thanks for your help-
Robert
Attached Images

Unread 05-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The marks are for setting the fence by measurement. If you’re placing tick marks on the tile, you’ll have to visually align them with the scoring wheel and/or the underlying cracker fulcrum.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #3
RinSF

Thanks. Yes, I understand the marks are for setting by measurement, I guess I'm just surprised they don't also have a clear cutting line/indicator there as well...as opposed to having to bend your neck halfway over to peek under and try to get a good view of where the scoring wheel will hit.

Oh well...knowing me I'll probably draw a line on there to help. I at least wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything in the technique or that my cutter wasn't at fault.

Thank you again
Unread 05-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I will draw lines before cutting if they need to be perfect. I will use white masking tape and draw on it with a ball point pen and cut through that. I am able to do it with both a manual score/snap cutter and wet saw. I find that there is too much side to side play in manual cutter. I never trust the measurements on the cutter or saw

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2022, 08:40 PM   #5
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

You can also use a tape measure between your fence and the wheel. With enough cuts, you will become one with the scale on your cutter and know exactly where to set it for any particular measurement.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2022, 10:08 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady at Best
…I find that there is too much side to side play in manual cutter…
We all buy tools that try to fit us and the jobs we have at hand. I’m not a tool snob. I’ll buy and use whatever works, and like everyone of us, have used low grade tools and “made it work” by persistence and hard work. But realize that there shouldn’t be any side-to-side play in the really good snappers that cost a few hundred.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase