Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #1
msajeep

Delta faucet install issue with tile

Hello,

I’ve got an issue I’m hoping someone can help me out with. I installed a Delta R22000 rough in valve to use with a Delta Ara 17 series dual shower faucet. I’ve installed a few faucets in different showers before but never had a faucet where you had to leave the plaster guard on. This faucet requires the holes in the plaster guard to be used for the faucet plate to be installed. Unfortunately I removed it.

At this point the shower is already completely waterproofed and tiled and the idea of ripping some of it out sounds awful.

I am considering just drilling screws into the tile and goboard to hold up the plate and then also using caulk around most of the plate to help aid in holding it.

Any issues with this though process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 04-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Mike, is this for the same shower project as in this post? https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=131453

I think I'd want to look at the feasibility of cutting back the tile and Go Board enough to expose the threaded holes of the shower valve body. Does the valve body also have water stop valves incorporated into the body? Ideally you'd want those accessible, too. A Dremel with appropriate bit would probably do the trick, though would be slow going.

Otherwise, you'd have to drill holes into the tile of the right size to accept a plastic anchor. The Go Board won't hold the anchor. You'll need to cut the screws to length, and it might be a challenge to get those cut machine screws to thread into the anchor. Or, if you measure carefully and drill larger holes, you might be able to screw into the threaded holes in the valve body.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #3
msajeep

Thanks for the reply.

The rough body does not have holes in it to accept the screws. That’s why I’m having the issue l. Like you, I assumed it did as well. The holes are actually part of the plaster guard which is supposed to stay after the install. I don’t have this player guard anymore. That’s why I’m looking at some alternatives. I do have access from behind and in theory could also put up some blocking to hold up with wood screws in them.

I guess I just figured this plate shouldn’t need much to hold it in place.

Unread 04-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
ss3964spd

That cover plate won't need much to hold it in place. I've got two towel rods anchored in tile that see way more stress on them than that cover plate will ever see.
Unread 05-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you’ve got access from the back, I suppose you could use fender washers and nuts to secure the screws. But installing and removing them would require two people, one on either side of the wall. Not to mention there’s a possibility of them being difficult to remove years down the road from hard water crusties (even with stainless hardware) if you needed to remove them to service the mixer valve.

I’d probably prefer using some would blocking back there, then switching to oval-headed stainless wood screws to secure the escutcheon plate.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
msajeep

Thanks everyone. I was able to get the plate on with some screws and washers. This thing has been a giant headache. After getting it all installed it was working great. Now when it’s turned on there is a real loud whining noise. Any suggestions before I just rip the wall open and remove this thing.

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Sounds like an obstruction/excess solder in the mixer/pipes. Have you turned off to explore for such inside?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
madmantrapper

I had to google that thing, I don't think I ever saw a valve that the escutcheon mounted the the plastic.
Unread 05-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Agree with Bubba. Was there anything in the valve installation instructions about flushing the valve, Mike?
Unread 05-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #10
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

It was working great after the install and now its making noise? Working great as in a test to see if it works? Does it have the shower head on now versus not having it on before. Sounds like an obstruction or water metering device.
Pull the shower head if there is one on it and run some water through it and see if the noise goes away.

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

DOes the rough-in valve have integral shutoff valves? If so, are they fully open?

Shut the main water valve off, pop off the handle(s), remove the cartridge, have someone turn the main valve back on for maybe 10-seconds to flush out the lines, and put things back together and see what happens.

If this is a tub/shower, some spout diverters can make some nasty sounds, but usually not when new.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #12
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

I would love to help on this one but I live in CA and we don't talk about shower valves that emit more than 1.8 GPM since July 1, 2018. I'm peeking through the blinds now to see if this post generated a surveillance....

All kidding aside, this is a good thing as it has caused manufacturers to produce showerheads that are more effective with less water. Sorry!
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
msajeep

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was working fine before I put the shower heads on. I’m going to try removing the cartridge and running it. Then running it without the heads on.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase