Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 06-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #1
jholguin1313

Tile Sealer Residue Removal - PLEASE HELP

I recently replaced my floor tile in my bathroom. The floor and grout lines looked amazing until I decided to seal the grout lines. I believe the tile is ceramic or porcelain. I'm using Tile Lab Grout and Tile Sealer, which is water based. At first I sprayed all over my tile and grout line and let it penetrate for 5 minutes per the instructions. And then wiped off the excess. I was left with some type of residue or stain on the tile now. I even tried switching to just sealing the grout lines only with one of those wheel applicators. But it still gets a little sealer on the edge of the tile. What can I do to remove that sealer residue/stain? Here's what I've tried that hasn't worked:

1) Applied a little more sealer hoping it would allow me to wipe off the residue
2) Applied my grout haze remover hoping it would have some type of chemical that would remove it
3) Applied 1 part white distilled vinegar and 1 part water

I've uploaded a picture of what the residue/stain looks like.
Attached Images

Unread 06-07-2022, 11:03 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

Our helpful folks will really want to know for sure what the tile is. Porcelain tile is ceramic tile, by the way. Just a harder, more dense version.

They'll also want to know specifically what grout you used.

I can't help with your question, but I can recommend you stop using any kind of acid on the problem. It's not gonna help remove the sealer residue and it can be harmful to cementitious grouts, if that's what you've got.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2022, 11:49 PM   #3
jholguin1313

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm attaching a few more pics to provide more detail. It is a porcelain tile, and I used Polyblend Plus Sanded Grout. Please let me know if more details are needed.
Attached Images

Unread 06-07-2022, 11:52 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

When you are ‘wiping up the excess’, you need to polish 100% of the wet stuff so that it’s 100% dry. For you to spray sealer all over the tile, I suspect you had way too much for a rag to completely absorb and dry everything…and too much dried via evaporation, leaving the solids behind to form that residue.

Please try this: wet a small area the size of your hand with the exact same sealer and allow it to remain wet for 5 minutes, then polish that little area 100% dry and tell us what the result is.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2022, 12:12 AM   #5
jholguin1313

Unfortunately that didn't work. I let it sit for 5 min and used 3 different microfiber towels to wipe up the excess. Any other ideas?
Unread 06-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That residue looks heavy and might be stubborn. I’d like for you to do a little experiment: wet a 3” x 3” area of the tile with sealer, wait 3-5 minutes, then use a little corner of a rag that is saturated with sealer to scrub the area for 20 seconds. Then dry everything with a microfiber towel. Repeat this test two or three times to see what change or improvement occurs.

In the meantime, can you tell me if you have any high alkaline cleaner on hand? A high alkaline cleaner is very often described as “heavy duty tile and stone cleaner”.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
jholguin1313

Sure I can try that test a little later. I do have Nano Scrub by Aqua Mix. Not sure if that is a high alkaline cleaner.
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
jholguin1313

No luck on your last suggestion. The sealer doesn't seem to be reacting to adding more sealer. I don't see any difference unfortunately.
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't think I've ever seen a water-based product that, once dried, would re-emulsify in the presence of more of the same product.

Not at all sure what you might have going on there, but I'd recommend you contact Custom Building Products and ask if they have a suggestion.

I would also try something like Goof-Off, or similar, in a small, inconspicuous spot just to see what sort of product might remove your sealer residue.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #10
jholguin1313

I have an extra tile piece in my garage. I think I'm going to throw sealer on it and create a residue that I can test a few different methods on.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase