Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-04-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
trazerr

Schluter Washers and Screws on GoBoard?

Hello! Long time lurker here and finally decided to create an account. I will be redoing our tiny master bath sooner than later and decided its time to get some answers to my questions.

Has anyone here used Schluter's washers and screws on GoBoard? Both JM and Schluter washers are the same size (look identical to me even). The screws are also both 1 5/8" long. The only difference between the two is the screw threads (hi-lo threads vs all the same height).

I emailed JM and they said they have never tested it, but Schluter's stuff should work. However, they recommended spacing the screws 6-8" apart max. They said this is because the screw heads for Schluter are smaller...? However, they definitely look the same exact size. I think the CS rep may have been thinking about their blue fasteners instead which have a bigger head than their screw heads for their washers.

I don't think screw head size even matters as the washer is what is holding/spreading the weight out. In this case the washers look to be identical between the two companies so I would think going every 10-12" would be okay (so long wall studs are 16" OC).

If anyone has used Schluter on GoBoard please let me know! OR if you have an opinion one way or the other.

Thanks!
Unread 02-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As long as they are installed properly (i.e., don't go so deep that you tear the coating), I don't see an issue using them. You want a slight dimple so you don't create a hump, but don't go overboard and damage the outer surface.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #3
eagle4x

Even though I haven't tried it, I think it's a great idea because installation would be faster than even using a dimple attachment on a drill and will make the board more secure than using only screws.

I suggest using the GoBoard sealant for covering the washers/screw heads instead of kerdi membrane that's used for the kerdi board.

I was going to use GoBoard in my shower but decided to use Permabase Waterproof (WP) because it's more rigid as my walls are not perfectly plumb and the GoBoard flexes. Shimming the walls has been a pain in the ass.

If you decide to change to Permabase WP, it's very difficult to find as it's not sold in the big box stores and most tile shops. I had to call mfg. to find local dealer that sells it. One other advantage with the Permabase WP, it that it's almost $10 cheaper per board than the GoBoard.

I think I'll buy the Schluter washers/screws and see if they will work for installation of my Permabase WP, but not sure if will work since it's more rigid than GoBoard

Last edited by eagle4x; 02-04-2022 at 07:40 PM.
eagle4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

ON a cost basis, the sealant is way more expensive than just the thinset, but either should work. Note, you can put the KerdiBand and thinset on just prior to spreading thinset to set the tile and avoid the possibility of a speed bump. I'm not sure if you'd need to wait after applying the sealant, but maybe not.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 02-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
eagle4x

Jim,
Mfg. of GoBoard recommends their sealant, not thinset, for covering screw heads. On other board types where mfg recommends thinset over screw heads, I don't understand why because thinset is not waterproof. Also, for those who apply thinset on screw heads for "waterproofing" why do that extra work since thinset going to be applied to the backer anyway when tile installed on the wall?
Unread 02-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
There is a step 5, page 7 of the instructions:

GoBoard For Bathtubs and Shower Walls

5. When the sealant becomes tacky after approximately 20 minutes, cover the sealed board joints and fastener locations with optional GoBoard Seam fabric to reinforce the seal especially at the change of plane between the walls and shower pan. Gently embed the fabric smoothing out all wrinkles or air pockets.

The fabric is optional - it doesn't come with the GB. It does not sound like using it is optional.

Oddly, their install instructions for the washers doesn't mention anything about using the fabric.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 02-05-2022 at 08:58 AM.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
eagle4x

Dan,
I understand about using fabric on the seams, but I was referring to sealing the screw heads.

The instructions don't say anything about using fabric on the seams because applying the sealant on the seams is sufficient to waterproof them according to the mfg. However, if i were to use GoBoard, I'd apply fabric on the seams using the GoBoard sealant anyway.

Last edited by eagle4x; 02-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.
eagle4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #8
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE4X
Also, for those who apply thinset on screw heads for "waterproofing" why do that extra work since thinset going to be applied to the backer anyway when tile installed on the wall?
Nobody has recommended sealing fasteners, screws, etc. with thin-set mortar, alone.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Using the recommendations for KerdiBoard, you use thinset to embed KerdiBand...you COULD do that with sealant, but as noted, not thinset alone. Same rules apply...get at least a 2" overlap if you're using thinset and Kerdiband for a hole versus a seam.

You can apply it as you're tiling, then you'll have no speed bumps, unless you're dealing with a pan, where you need 24-hours with Kerdi before you can flood test. Many of the sealants will allow that to occur sooner as it skins over fairly quickly, but can take a while to fully cure, but will do that while wet.
Unread 02-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #10
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

For what it’s worth …during this Kerdi board shortage we replaced KB with Go-Board and simply followed the process as we would with a Kerdi shower . We did some low tech tests in the shop and talked to a few of the good folks at schluter
- Zero issues thus far and I don’t anticipate any .
We do look forward to the return to Kerdi board proper but in the meantime we are comfortable substituting similar foam board products .

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #11
trazerr

Thank you all for the replies! I need to figure out how to turn on notifications for this thread! ha

It sounds like using Schluter washers and screws wouldn't be a bad idea so long I install them properly. I may space them out around 10" just to be safe. Maybe less if I get my hands on quite a few of them as the shower itself is tiny.

My plan for this install is a KBRS tile basin with GoBoard walls. I will be using KBRS Showerseal polyurethane sealant as GoBoard lists it as an optional sealant for their board. Plus, I get a discount with KBRS and just purchased it all yesterday.

I am glad you guys brought up the seam fabric as I planned on using it on all of the seams (just sealant on screw locations though). I am not sure how to attack the seam fabric though.. I did purchase the liquid membrane from KBRS (Showerseal Seamless Waterproofing Sealer) as well and planned on embedding their fabric in that over their sealant. Again, GoBoard approves of the KBRS liquid membrane just like the KBRS sealant.

However, my plan was to use the KBRS polyurethane sealant on all joints and then let it dry. Then put down the KBRS liquid membrane over the joints and then embed the fabric into it. Then paint over the fabric with more KBRS liquid membrane until its all green. That is how KBRS calls it out the directions.

I think the above should all work as GoBoard list both KBRS products as alternatives. If anyone thinks differently please let me know.

Again, thank you for all of the replies! So far this is making me feel better about my plan of attack.
Unread 02-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Hey Riley !
I should actually go back and check the manufactures recommended practice here … but I do believe the Folks at Go-board are OK with treating all penetrations and seams with the appropriate thinset and fabric . …
Again this is how we have approached it the bulk of the past year and feel it’s a solid practice .
I just don’t want to give you my “opinion “ on the matter if the manufactures are advocating something different… I do understand there is a difference and don’t wanna steer you
Wrong !

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Riley.

Top of first post; Thread Tools; Subscribe; Instant notification.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2022, 07:05 AM   #14
eagle4x

Riley,
You wrote in your 1st post that the mfg recommended spacing the screws/washers 6" - 8" apart, but in your last post that you'll space them 10" apart...I suggest spacing them as mfg recommends.

Regarding the fabric, I think it's an overkill to apply liquid membrane over it.
Unread 02-06-2022, 09:08 AM   #15
jeffnc

I agree with you, I can't see any issue with using the Schluter screws, and I can't imagine how the size of the screw head could matter in any way. So if that is their reasoning (i.e. the reasoning of one random person you got on the phone, and in my experience those people sometimes make mistakes or unknowingly are not actually in synch with the real technical position of the company), then that means you don't need to space them any differently than the standard spacing they normally recommend.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase