Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #106
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
So just a bit more than 3/8th. I think the 1/4" X 1/4" SN trowel will be fine.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #107
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Travis, set your first sheet with the 1/4" square notch, embed the sheet of tiles to achieve full coverage and examine the grout lines for excess mortar squishing up into the grout lines. If all good then you are set. If not, you can adjust the angle of your trowel to produce a lower comb OR pick a smaller notch trowel - then test for full coverage with the smaller trowel.

What you DO NOT want is

1) less than 100% mortar coverage

2) Having to scrape mortar out of those 1000 little grout lines!

So find that sweet spot on the first sheet and save yourself a lot of headache.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #108
travisinfla

Smile Thanks

John good advice but missed it, so fell into option #2 and went through 3 pair of clothes and 2 days of trying to remove thinset from a 1000 lines and still have some on my legs lol, this was my 3rd major tiling job and first with mosaics, so learned the hard way but I got 99% of it out. My part of this project is done. It was a lot of work but I enjoyed it, and used everyones advice so it was done properly. Time to pass the baton to the Builder who will be doing the walls and tub.
I wasn't a fan of installing the foam pan but it seems to drain well, and it was easier to work on after I put the sheet membrane on it, not trusting it compression strength I also added spectra lock 1 for more strength. So when the builders crew come, and do the walls, I think I am going to put a rubber mat on the floor and 3/4 plywood on top of that so they dont break it.
Attached Images

Unread 04-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #109
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisinfla
John good advice but missed it, so fell into option #2 and went through 3 pair of clothes and 2 days of trying to remove thinset from a 1000 lines...
Ouch. Sorry. I tried
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2022, 06:51 PM   #110
travisinfla

?

Some splash hits here in black scribble, its' not connected to the hydroban sheet shower pan but could be by extending. Should it be done or leave as is? Was thinking of a putting a dam at edge but they are sort of tacky looking
Attached Images

Last edited by travisinfla; 05-15-2022 at 07:02 PM.
travisinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #111
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
The scribbled part - that's the tile for the main floor just outside of the shower, yes? How wet is that area getting?

If it is tile then of course you'd need to remove it to water proof under it, and even then I can't tell how successful you'd be with tying in the new HB to the old.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #112
travisinfla

Hey Dan

thanks again, yes bathroom floor to recessed shower floor, some splashing from high pressure shower, but not in line of fire, think will trying aim the shower a bit more to the other side to reduce standing water on there. The builder is going to have to remove the shower glass from the knee wall there when they redo the walls, so maybe they can shift it over so its flush with edge. I did put some flex seal clear over the scribble tile, lol, for hell of it, hard to see and not obvious. I could remove the tile there put sheet underneath, remove edging of shower and attach sheet to sheet to tie it in, would have to pitch it, probably not needed.

Last edited by travisinfla; 05-18-2022 at 04:39 PM.
travisinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase