Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
K.O

Basement Bathroom Help

So we are installing / finishing a bathroom that was started downstairs in the basement by the previous owners. And I'm doing tile wall in the shower which unfortunately we have already put up. I don't know if waterproofing the wall is going to be an issue or not my guess is yes considering when we were doing the plumbing the water lines we're tapped into it and there was a little leakage in the room on the other side of the wall which was fine. And returning to the bathroom we found that the water had seeped underneath of the wall and wetened the mortar we used. Honestly I'm not sure what advice I'm looking for because I know that we probably are going to need to waterproof at least 6 to 12 in of the wall and the basement floor to prevent seepage out of the shower. Is this correct?. My husband saw it he got angry and started tearing like a mad gorilla and I told him to stop let me do some research first and then I found this forum. the shower will not be used often as it is a spare bathroom in the basement but I just need to know do the walls and the floor have to be waterproofed behind tile grout and thinnest mortar. The first two pictures are from inside the shower where you can see where the water seeped underneath now this is not finished so I assumed that's why it possibly seeped and because it came from the other side of the wall which has absolutely no tile on it. the last image is the picture of the other side of the wall where the plumbing will be when it's finished but for the meantime we are at a halt until we get some advice.
Attached Images

Unread 02-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Nice looking tile and it's a shame that you are having these issues. Truthfully, you really need a "Pro" to come out and evaluate your project. It MIGHT be a simple fix....but it could also be a total re-build. Only an onsite evaluation will tell.

I might also suggest that you put your location in your information. This says a lot and gives us information as to techniques in your area and what inspections may or may not be required.....
Unread 02-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
K.O

Well I am just wondering if I need water proofing for the base of the shower because it is on cement. Also we did not water proof the walls is that an issue because we were told we did not need it if we were doing thinnest mortar, tile and grout. We were told to just caulk the corners and where the wall meets the floor.
Unread 02-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
K.O

Also thank you for the compliment that took me a lot of convincing my husband to stop trying to change my vision and it turned out pretty well other than our oops
Unread 02-05-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Keyleyne. How's come you got that extry Y in there?

If you have no waterproof shower receptor and no water containment system in the walls, I agree with your husband's initial approach; tear it all out and start over.

While you're in a basement and perhaps leaking water will not cause as much damage as it would on an upper floor, there is no reason to spend a dime repairing a shower that you know will leak. Even if it's rarely used and will rarely leak. Just makes no sense to me to proceed with what you've got.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #6
Ryanhutzel

I agree. Tear it apart and start over. The walls NEED waterproofing behind the tile. You can’t just stick tiles on Sheetrock or cement backer directly. That won’t last long at all. I agree with the poster above, bring in a pro or do LOTS Of research before starting a DIY project like this. Purchase John Bridges book called tile your world and read the shower section. You’ll learn how to do the job from start to finish. That’s how I learned the things I was doings wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome. Please put a first name in your permanent signature line for us to use.

There is nothing at all wrong with bonding tile directly to CBU in a shower wall so long as a moisture barrier has been installed behind the CBU and laps over a traditional shower receptor liner.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with the others, turn the mad gorilla loose in there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase