Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

5. How 'bout "Steve's Shower Project," Steve? Or something equally generic.

My recommendation? Leave it alone. Learn to live with the cracks. I predict that with Glazed Wall Tiles (that's a specific category of tile), you're gonna find that you'll make your situation worse, rather than better. But that's just:

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #32
BONDOSPECIAL

Steve accepts a generic title such as Steve's Shower Project

I am going to stay away from electric tools but I am going to try regrouting one of the worst joints to see what happens. I used 1/16" spacers so at least I'm not dealing with self-spacing 4x4 ceramic tiles where you end up with a 1/32" joint that only a box cutter blade will fit in. I think a handheld 1/16" tungsten carbide coated grout rake will fit between the tiles.

I wish I was capable of letting go and living with this but I am not. I have not used this shower since I built it, my wife uses it but I don't want to look at it.

Steve
Unread 06-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #33
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Steve, what Mapei grout did you use? Was it just the standard unsanded... Kera something, I believe?

Normally, the cracks with unsanded grout show up right away. I'm not sure why these are taking their time. In my opinion, Mapei's Ultracolor FA is a better grout for that application but I wouldn't do a regrout unless you absolutely had to.

Also, for 1/16th grout joints, you don't need any special tools. Just determination more than anything.

Your shower looks good! Nice job!
Unread 06-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #34
BONDOSPECIAL

It's Mapei's Keracolor U. Standard, old fashioned cement grout.

I had thought about FA but I was honest with myself that although I am good at some things, grouting is not one of them, so I didn't want to use a fast setting grout. Also the hex floor in my bathroom was done by a pro who over-washed the Ultracolor FA pearl grey grout and it cured a mottled color. So I figured if a pro could still screw that grout up, I definitely would.

Thanks for the compliment. I won't accept that I did a good job on this since you can ruin a good tile job with bad grouting, and I managed that.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase