Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2022, 12:11 AM   #16
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Yes. I ended up firring the wall out.
I have a tile layout question. The shower is a 2 wall 32x60" with a roughly 24" tall pony wall to accommodate a corner bench. The pony wall doesn't HAVE to be this height but the thought is that the lower the better for aesthetics. The back side of the pony wall and the back wall of the bathroom will be tiled with a 3"x12 subway pattern. This will be a wainscoting up to roughly 41 inches on the walls around the tub.
My question is how to tie these 2 different types of tile together at the intersection above the pony wall, and outside of the area of the shower enclosure. The enclosure/ will run down across the middle to outside 2/3rds of the top of the pony wall leaving maybe an inch of shower wall tile outside of the glass enclosure.
The plan is to use something like schluter rondec for the exposed edges of the shower wall tile, across the curb, etc. Also planning on using a different color rondec across the top of the wainscoting but I am not sure of that will work yet.

I can picture how this would all work if the pony wall was the same height as the wainscoting but we want to avoid that.
Another question. Is there a minimum difference in height between the corner bench and the top of the pony wall? And related to the pony wall. I am framing it with sticks. Would it be beneficial or no good to cap the pony wall with 2" kerdi versus 1/2" kerdi. My thought is that the shower door dude says that they use 1.5"screws and I think they would easily peirce the 1/2 kerdi.
I will include a hand drawn schematic of the shower and tub. Is there a better schluter edge profile to use. I put an arrow and question mark at the area on question.
As for this bathroom, I think the tile is ugly and doesn't go together. So nothing I lay out and look at looks good to me.
Let me know what you think.
Travis

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.

Last edited by Shady at Best; 05-12-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #17
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Progress report.
Things are coming along. Although I built the pony wall an inch too short in length and didn't have kerdi washers. I wasn't able to inbed the curb because of the pony wall issue and the lack of kerdi washers to fully attach the 1/2 board on the pony wall. So i had some thinset left over and decided to use it to coat the concrete instead of throwing it out. I will install the curb, float the pan, and probably cover the pan with sheet membrane so that I can water test on Monday.
Anyways..

Unread 05-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #18
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Got to love showing up at a job and the customer wants to change something. Can you spot what's different between these 2 pictures?

Since I have everyone's attention. How packed does one need to pack deck mud/ dry pack?

Unread 05-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #19
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Eliminated the bench and pony wall...
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #20
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Dan,
You have a keen eye. .
The water test was a success.
Day 1 and 24 hours later

Unread 05-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #21
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Got to love showing up at a job and the customer wants to change something.
looks like less work to me which always better then for example"I saw this on Pinterest last night while I was enjoying a glass(bottle or 2) of wine. I would really like a niche below my shower head, can we do that?"
Unread 05-20-2022, 11:38 PM   #22
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Yeah, less work for sure. But she still wants a floating bench on the other side and she wants a bigger niche

Unread 06-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #23
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Been sick with the vid or related illness for a few weeks. My helper went in and tiled the pan of this shower yesterday and grouted today. I don't think that this tile job will fly. I saw a picture of it before it was grouted and I could see the separations between sheets but it didn't look too bad. It's sheet tile from floors and decor and none of them truly line up on any edge plus there is no markings or anything to suggest direction.
So do I tear it all out and start over tomorrow or do I pull out and replace random tiles and try to make those lines disappear?
This is on kerdi membrane and I am super hesitant to remove tile in fear of damaging the membrane.
Thoughts?

Here's the picture I saw yesterday. I guess the angle of the picture hides the space between sheets. Damit. The more I look at it the worse it looks.

Unread 06-24-2022, 12:39 AM   #24
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you tear it out, you'll almost certainly ruin the Kerdi by pulling off the fleece. Then, it's really hard to try to get a proper seal with the walls once you replace it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #25
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Jim,
Yeah. My biggest fear. Although I did cover the fleece work ardex 8+9, so maybe that will help.
The friggin white grout really brought out the gaps.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase