Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
jeffnc

Material to fill in shower floor space

I have a complicated shower situation and I'm not going to try to describe it all, and I don't have pictures, but the bottom line is I have to fill a space between 2 Kerdi trays. The shower/shower stall area is on concrete slab. One tray is already "set in stone" and the top edge is about 1/4" above the slab. The second one is a linear tray and is not in place yet so I have some flexibility with it. The bottom of the linear tray is about 1" above the slab. The 2 trays are about 10" apart and I have to bridge that gap with something. After I fill it, Kerdi membrane is going on top before tiling the floor. So I have a minimum of 10" that has to slope from 1" down to 1/4", but the distance between them can be increased to anything reasonable. The area is about 60" wide.

What would be the best material/method to fill that space?
Unread 02-26-2022, 08:05 AM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

I mean deck mud with a thin set slurry will work just fine, then if you wanted to be extra could use backer tape to bridge the connection from deck mud to foam and then skim the whole thing again with thin set.

Do I know that’s below the recommended thickness of deck mud, yes.
Do I know we call it tile mortar instead of thin set, yes.
Do I still recommend that since this is the pro hangout, yes.
Unread 02-26-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not that we should be in the Hangout for this, Justin, but your points are well taken.

Every manufacturer of tile installation products makes at least one product that would work just fine for the application, Jeff. Don't know where you shop.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #4
jeffnc

What's the minimum space you'd recommend for the slope between the 1" edge down to the 1/4" edge? This will be walked on to enter the primary shower floor area.

Is this product considered a dry pack mortar? It refers to mixing to "dry pack consistency", but it also says it can be tapered to a feather edge. ("Excellent for ramping and pitching down to a feather edge when used in a bonded mortar bed assembly with a slurry bond coat")

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/pr...181128T135130Z

https://cdn.laticrete.com/~/media/su...ts/tds143.ashx
Unread 02-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Any change in elevation of more than 1/2" generally requires a slope no greater than 1:12, Jeff. I think the absolute maximum per building code is actually 1:8. For your 3/4" I'd want at least 9 horizontal inches.

This being a shower floor, you'd be exceeding the maximum slope of 1/2" per foot and I'd wanna run your plan by your local code compliance inspector to see what he might think is excessive.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2022, 09:59 AM   #6
jeffnc

I can easily extend that to 24", I just don't want to fill in more mortar than necessary.
Unread 02-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
jeffnc

One of the reasons I was curious about this as a side note is that the slope of a couple of the Kerdi trays are extreme in places. Specifically on the rectangular tray with the off center drain, and on the neo-angle tray, there is approximately a 1" slope per foot. This is where the drain is closest to the edge, and of course they have to do that so they can keep a level perimeter on the tray. I'm sure that's not much of an issue because no one will be standing there, but I'm not aware of anything in codes that makes that exception, so it makes you wonder if those Kerdi trays are actually to code, technically.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase