Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
dynamwebz

Advice needed for Craftsman bath

Hello all!
I own a 1920 Bungalow in Cranston RI.
I did a remuddle of my bathroom 25 years ago. At least I got the floor right. 3/4" plywood over t&G subfloor. 1/2" cement board using a base of thinset and roofing nails to hold down. Used Rialto porcelain tile on floor. Still looks great. No cracks and grout still perfect.
So, here I am doing another remodel.
Built a cherry vanity, med cabinet and wall cabinet. Med cab will be inserted into framing. Other cab is flush mount.
Keeping the cast iron tub. No fiberglass for me.
Found a bunch of reclaimed brass fixtures on Ebay over the years.
I'm using 1x4 T&G Douglas fir for Wainscoting. Medium dark stain. Probably Tried & True product. About 36" inches from floor.
I'll be making all the trim for doors and windows from D fir as well to match the rest of the house.
Purchased nice ceiling and wall sconces from Old California Lighting.
This needs to be a quality job.
Questions.
Can I, should I tile above the Wainscoting with tile to the ceiling? Thinking tumbled stone subway type tiles. Would the tiled wall look stupid above the T&G? Not a fan of using sheet rock and painting/wall papering.
If not stupid, how to make the transition from T&G cap to tile?
Ceiling advice?
Money is an object but saving on DIY and want t pass on a quality job to my kids.
Any and all advice is appreciated!
Unread 10-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I like it, Mike, that'll be a fun project. Not much advice at this point, more opinion.

What's the floor going to be? You going to run the 1X4 T&G vertically or horizontally?

IMO, tile to the ceiling would look just fine, maybe install a crown and tile up to that, but tumbled anything may present a challenge in the corners, and where the tile ends. Also IMO, I think you can get away with a bit more modern tile (in size, finish, or color) given all the other craftsman details you'll have, and still end up with a decidedly craftsman look.

I can't wait to see progress pics of this.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mike,

I think tiled walls above T&G wood might look top heavy. To me tile looks heavy and is usually used as a wainscot. As least that's the way it was back in the day.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
dynamwebz

Tiling a tub surround

Gutting and remodeling my bathroom.
I have a 1920 cast iron built in tub. Thinking I'll keep it.
Problem is tiling the long wall to the tub lip. Looking at the long wall the tub lip starts to dip about 6 inches from the end wall corner. The dip is approximately 1/2 inch. It's a built in feature, not some anomaly. The dip then goes back up at the opposite end of the tub, six inches from the wall.
So this presents a dilemma, Tile a straight line from one end to the other and have an extra wide grout line. Or. Drop the second tile from the end 1/2" lower and have a crooked line of tile. Not acceptable. That's what I have now, sort of.
I'll be using 3"x 6" inch subway tiles for the surround.
Maybe I'm over thinking this and I just settle for a wide grout line or maybe some tiling genius has encountered this and found an inventive solution?
Since a pic is worth a 1000 words, I'll post one tonight after work.
Unread 11-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, post a pic if you can. I think I understand your problem. We fix it by lowering the whole layout down to the lowest point of the tub ledge. Then you'll have to cut in all the bottom row of tiles against the tub. Does that make sense?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
dynamwebz

Thanks Dave. Was going to post a pic but it's difficult to see the issue. I'm removing the old tile and cement board. Then I'll take a pic.
And man, this stuff is difficult to remove! Layer of sheet rock, layer of cement board and 12x12 ceramic tiles. 8 hours and 1/3 removed with knuckle busters, blisters and cuts.
Unread 12-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Mike.

What tools are you using for demo?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Doesn't sound like the original 1920's tile job.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
dynamwebz

1920's tile job?

Not even close! I have a friend with a similar house. Original tile. Or so it looks.
Mine? Crap, when I purchased the house 30 years ago the original tile was gone and someone nailed/glued up lime green 4x8 sheets of fake tile, over some other re-muddle job.
So i gutted to studs and did my own re-muddle. Looked much better than lime green.
So here I am doing it again.
But plans are changed. With all my work pulling off cement board, i stated getting water in the basement. Just some drips. found the issue was the tub drain. Pulled the strainer and realized someone had packed in some type of cement around the hole. Uh Oh! The cast is completely rotted through in spots and looks like it's going to have an epic failure
So, I'll be swinging the sledge hammer and doing more work than planned. Buying a claw foot tub and will probably have to rip out perfectly good porcelain floor tiles I put down 30 years ago. See pic. They are the old Lowe's Rialto tile. Excellent tiles at a discount price. I can't find these anymore.
Any ideas of where I might find them? Would like to continue them under the new tub.
Why did this site rotate my pic 90 degrees?
Attached Images

Unread 12-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's usually hard to match 5 year old tiles, Nearly impossible to match 30 year old tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
dynamwebz

Advice needed for Craftsman bath

Hello all!
100 year old house. Bad bathroom. Gutted the whole darn thing to original sub floor and wall studs. Removed the tub wall that contains the plumbing and eliminated the tiny closet.
Plan is for porcelain terracotta 12x12 floor tiles. 3x6 white subway tiles in alcove area including ceiling. Blue board the rest of the walls and ceiling, minus 36" from floor up the walls for wainscoting secured to 1/2" plywood.
Purchased new acrylic claw foot tub. High quality, made in the USA rather than imported junk. Wanted cast but logistically impossible with the weight.
Want a drain under the tub for ease of cleaning the room and a just in case plumbing accident.
So, sub floor is 3/4" T&G. Good shape. Screwed it tight to joists. Dropped a level. High spot in middle of floor. Added a thin wood veneer over sub on half the floor to level out then 3/4" plywood over entire sub. Still have bad slope away from drain.
Added extra thin set in that are and screwed down cement board. Now the floor on half the room is level but not sloped towards the drain. Good grief.
Without removing anything, how can I get the slope I need towards the drain? A layer of feathered out thin set? Brush the surface while still workable?
Thanks.
Unread 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Mike.

I've combined your first three threads on this project here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. Please keep all your project questions here.

It'll also be helpful if you'll put your geographic location into your User Profile so it appears with each post to aid in answering some types of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
So, sub floor is 3/4" T&G.
3/4" T&G what, mike?

I'm worried about this "thin wood veneer" you put over part of the subfloor. Can you be more specific about that? I'm even more concerned with the attempt to "level" the floor by adding thinset mortar under your CBU.

You speak of wanting a drain. I'm presuming a floor drain, but you don't indicate how you plan to waterproof this floor if that's the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Now the floor on half the room is level but not sloped towards the drain.
Are we confusing flat with level here? And where is this drain located. A photo or two might be real helpful here.

Have you evaluated your floor joist structure to ensure that it qualifies for a ceramic tile installation?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What CX said. Also, how much space/thickness can you come up in the doorway?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #14
dynamwebz

I thought everything looked familiar in this post.
Since the first post and answers, decisions were made to take a sledge to the old tub and do a total gut. Added 3 G's to the budget. In the middle of demo, I got ghastly ill with the flu. Lost six-eight weeks of bathroom work. Still not 100%.
So here I am trying to make up for lost time. I can't leave my house for the most part with this pandemic going on. Luckily I stocked up on supplies.
Everyone stay safe, this virus is very contagious.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase