Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Aaron D.

Upstairs bathroom project

Howdy all,
I have a house buiilt in 1964 with your average 1964 looking bathroom...yuck. Here is the deal, I plan on tiling the floor (among other projects in there) but it is covered with vinyl, probably original, about 70-80 square feet. I'm thinking asbestos, how much to remove from a pro?? If It's too expensive how about a cement backer type board over it. This of course assuming the sub floor is OK and by the way the vinyl is in good shape for it's age. Not too concered about the height difference, I've gotton pretty good at building custom transitions out of oak hardwood. The bathroom floor will meet hardwood in hallway. The bathroom floor is level but will need to be stiffened up prior to tiling no matter what I do about the vinyl. By the way, found this site about a week ago and became addicted quickly, great job to all, thanks for your time and advice, look forward to hearing back. Aaron D. Avid DIY'er
Aaron D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Aaron D.

Still need help

I'm new to this forum so excuse me for not introducing myself, My name is Aaron from South Carolina. Just need an idea about the potential cost of the vinyl removal due to asbestos (I assume) or tiling over it. Thanks again to all advise given...Aaron
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Hello and Welcome Aaron!
I can't answer your question, but someone here undoubtedly can. It might help to give some details about the project. What type of building and subfloor? How big of an area?

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Okay. It looks like I'm either losing my mind or you had that first post somewhere else before and a Moderator moved it. On that subject, be sure to post all new responses here, Aaron, so we can keep up with all the details of your project .

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Aaron.

Please don't start new threads with the same questions. When you're not getting a response, just make another post to your thread and it will rise to the top for attention. I've combined your new thread here.

Don't know why you didn't get any response, but now that I see the original thread I think it's for the same reason you wouldn't likely get much response to the new thread - not enough information.

We'd need to know at least what's under the vinyl. I'm guessing you're on a wood-framed subfloor of some kind, but that is just a guess. Do tell exactly what the subflooring is, layer by layer.

Second consideration is the asbestos issue. If you're concerned about that, you should have it tested. Then, if it's asbestos, you can make a decision about what to do with it. I'm inclined to remove it myownself, but you may not be comfortable with that. We can discuss the options once you know if you even have an asbestos "issue."

There are manufacturers who publish methods of installing over the old vinyl, but I don't keep up with the requirements because I think it's a bad eye-dee in general. Get down to good structural subflooring of some sort and start from there is my advice.

So............give us a hint. What's under there?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Oh, and don't pay no nevermind to ol' Brad, there. He done loss his mind long before he got here but he still likes to blame us.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Aaron D.

Subfloor mystery

I'm on night shift and a bit cross eyed. I'll be sure to take a peek at what's under that ol' vinyl sheeting to see what's hiding when I get up today. Based on my downstairs I'm guessing some type of planks on diagonal but I'll be sure to let you know. Anybody know what kind of company tests for asbestos?? thanks for the thread tips, hope this ended up where it was supposed to...Aaron
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Aaron D.

looks good under the floor

It's Aaron again,
I checked under the floor by looking into the eaves and a cutout behind the wall that leads to the tub plumbing. Looks like some beefy 2x10's 16" on center with a span of about 12 feet from bathroom door to the end of the bathroom. Mr. Deflecto tells me that's about 558. Plenty for ceramic.
1) Now, to remove or not to remove that vinyl??? Looks like a pain, it is well bonded to the subfloor. What to place over it if it stays?? CBU, if so what size??
2) Also, I had another thought. I know that the house was built in 1964 with a mud bed and lathe in the lower bathroom. When I begin the shower tile demo upstairs, can I expect a crazy amount of mud/thinset type material behind the tile?? I know I will have to go to studs and begin with a cement type backer for the rebuild.
Thanks again guys for the advice, it'll be a while (months probably) before I begin the project, I'll be sure to keep you posted...Aaron from S.C.
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
Aaron D.

forgot a part

Sorry, looks like 1x6 on diagonal over the 2x10's, rock solid wood. The house is a 1.5 (not a whole second story) story cape cod style house. This neighborhood is known for it's good construction from the 60's. All hand nailed and well built...Aaron
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. Only known method is to scrape it off, Aaron.

2. Could be a thick reinforced mud wall or a thinner reinforced mud over some kind of wall board. If it's mud. Can't tell for sure until you get a hole in it. Or you can look inna hole that's already there, like where the shower valves are, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
Looks like some beefy 2x10's 16" on center with a span of about 12 feet from bathroom door to the end of the bathroom.
That may or may not be what you're looking for. The size of the room doesn't necessarily determine the unsupported span of the floor joists. And that's what you need to know.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Aaron D.

Thanks for the advice

I'll go ahead and get the existing floor off and go down to subfloor. Thanks for all the advice. Now I get to buy a real tile saw!!! I'll keep you posted...Aaron
Unread 09-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Aaron D.

Mystery behind the wall....is no more.

Been busy since my last post arrestin' bad guys...looked in a cutout in the hall for access to the plumbing in case of a problem (that I hope I don't ever have). Looks like roofing felt over studs, then wire lathe, then mud/thinset/or whatever, then the tile. Mud/thinset/ or whatever isn't thick, just thick enough to do the job, and it has worked for 43 years so far. Hoping the rip out won't be to bad. Saving for material now. Love all the advice here, hope to start before the end of the year. Thanks to all, Aaron

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase