Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
nickh

Hairline Cracks in New Grout

This site has been a fantastic resource during my bathroom remodeling project!! However, I would really appreciate some professional advice before proceeding.

On the recommendation of my tile vendor, I used Mapei unsanded Keracolor to grout between 4x4 tiles set slightly more than 1/8" apart (the tiles are mounted on a perforated paper backing). Generally the grout looks great, but I have noticed 7 or 8 very small hairline cracks running parallel with some of the tiles.

From other posts on this site I gather that the consensus is to use sanded grout in spacing above 1/8 inch, however as mentioned the tile spacing is only slightly larger than 1/8 inch and well below 1/4 inch (the spacing is not exactly uniform).

I do think that I mixed the grout with a bit too much water (according to my more experienced tile-setting friend.)

I have only completed the back wall furthest from the shower, and before finishing the two other walls I was hoping someone would confirm that:

1. I can fill in the cracks with new grout, and then seal it.
2. If I adjust the water ratio to yield thicker grout, I shouldn't have a problem with cracking, and thus can avoid using sanded grout.

Sincere thanks for your advice!!
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Tile Newb

Sanded grout shouldve been used .
Tile Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Nick,

Those tiles are usually grouted with sanded grout, but the question now is what to do. I don't know whether it would be easiest to remove the grout on the one wall or double grout all the walls. I know sanded grout works, and I THINK double grouting with unsanded will do the job.

I think I would try double grouting a test area on the back wall to see how it comes out. If it looks good, continue as you are doing. If not, you can probably still rake the grout out of the joints on that one wall fairly easily.

Keep us posted.

Hi Tile Newb. Please give us a name. If you are in the business, please check into the Pro Hangout and introduce yourself. Welcome aboard.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase