Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-02-2021, 04:51 AM   #1
Cactus_King

Shower drain installed flush with subfloor without flange

After tearing out mud bed I found out the drain is flush with the concrete floor. There's no flange, just a threaded 2 inch hole that the drain screws into. Will I be okay with doing the pre-slope, then gluing or puttying around the threaded drain before I put down my pan liner and installing the mud bed or do I need to jackhammer it out and start again?
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Shawn,

Pretty sure the answer is no. If you intend to install a presloped mud bed, then liner, then final mud bed you need to use a drain assembly that's compatible with the liner; a clamping drain assembly and the one you've got, well, aint.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
fabian55

Hi Shawn, I might be wrong as I am not a professional and also ask questions on here, but there are adapters you can use so you don't have to jack hammer anything out. So example, a linear drain will have an adapter that screws in just like that, a traditional drain, if im not mistaken, has adapters to screw into that as well, just need to purchase it separatly

Use the adapter so that you can have the flange, do the first slope, run the liner and do the second layer on top of the liner.

PS: I would recommend you do research and first determine what type of waterproofing system you will use, traditional or bonding as they have different methods and drains as well. Example, you won't be able to use a bonding drain with the traditional method etc..
Unread 06-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Shawn.

I'm not sure you have the proper drain for a tile shower. I can't see the lower part, so I can't say one way or the other.

I'd break out the concrete around the drain to see what's below.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Fabian, as Dan pointed out above you cannot use a traditional shower receptor liner with that drain. It's got no mechanism for clamping the liner and I know of no adapter that will correct that. It's gotta come out, and that would also be true if Shawn decides to use a bonding flange drain and direct bonded waterproofing membrane.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
fabian55

CX, you are correct, I looked at the adapters online and its for example, Linear Drain Adapter for flanges already in place, or Adapters to reduced size etc, but they all have the flange already installed. So yes, seems it would have to be removed..

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase