Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #16
otrex

After inspecting the plaster ceiling a bit more today I am now leaning towards strapping with 2x4s on the flat side to preserve the headroom. I think an adhesive alone would probably work to hold the Kerdi board against the existing ceiling but it's possible the plaster would soften or fracture over time due to steam and condensation between the Kerdi and plaster (likely due to the rapid heating and cooling of the above attic during the Summer since the attic space is so tiny).

Because the span is only 36" I am confident using 2x4s on the flat side as there will not be enough weight from the tiles to cause any real sag on such a short span and further 2 of the 3 pieces of lumber used in that way will end up being tied to the outside walls with screws meaning only the center piece will actually have to span without screw support in the middle. And by my count this should leave me with about 6'7" of standing space inside the shower once all tiles are installed, which is a bit tight for me personally, but pretty reasonable for most people of normal height.

After this, I'll add some more blocking for the Kerdi board and drywall and then it's time for the dry pack mortar bed. Thankfully I kept the MDF drain "blank" that I made up with my last shower install so I can just cut it for length and then screw it into place.
Unread 05-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #17
otrex

Installation of the Kerdi board is complete, but now I have an important question.

The floor of the shower is the same 3/4" plywood as mentioned previously.

I have a Schluter Kerdi Line linear drain that I will be using meaning I only need one slope.

I will be positioning the drain along the East wall of the shower (running North-South). While I will have no trouble creating the West-East slope out of dry pack, I note that the subfloor has a consistent slope from North to South. At the 32" of length along this dimension I would say it slopes 1/2". Very flat, but sloping.

When I choose my position for the Kerdi Line drain I make up a wooden "blank" and screw it down into position. That also gives me something really firm to screed off the dry pack. The trouble is, if I put the drain on the East wall (running North-South) it's just going to follow the slope of the floor and end up with water pooling in the Southern end of the drain. And, of course, Schluter linear drains need to be flat to work well.

My initial instinct is to use a self-leveling compound from feather-edge out to the 1/2" necessary and then dry-pack on top of that. The trouble is that I am not sure I can staple metal lath down on top of self-leveling compound. Not to mention, of course, that the SLC itself requires metal lath. Needless to say, I would only be able to use the lath under the SLC where the depth permits it.

The other option would be to install the wooded drain "blank" so that it is level and then have the dry pack screeded in such a way as to cancel out that North-South slope. The only trouble is that would mean I would have to screw down the wooden blank somehow so that it is shimmed underneath and I do not know how I would keep the dry pack from getting under there and blocking proper drain installation once I remove the blank.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do here?
Unread 05-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #18
otrex

Kerdi Line and Tile - Installation Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions about installation of a Kerdi Line drain at a wall edge and how to finish it with tile.

i) As you can see in the picture, when everything is dry-fit, there is still quite a gap between the back wall and the edge of the drain flange. Of course, I assume the thinset on the back wall will eat up some of this gap and I was careful to install the styrofoam drain body guide right up against the wall as per the instructions (thin side to the wall). Does this seem normal thus far? Based on the Schluter instructional videos it appears that they do not expect a thin-cut floor tile to be placed between the flange and the back wall, but that gap looks pretty large to me. It appears to be about 7/8" of an inch which does seem to match Schluter's expectations.

ii) I assume you would use a colour-matched sealant against the back wall once the tile is in place as per TCNA standards? That is to say, I would seal in such a way that the sealer covers the back edge of the chrome drain flange?

iii) At the front and sides of the flange, it seems Schluter expects a line of grout between the flange and the first tile. Would I just use the same spacers as elsewhere to preserve that gap at the same 1/8" as between all other tiles?

Thanks kindly for your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by otrex; 05-27-2021 at 11:21 PM.
otrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #19
otrex

If anyone is able to assist with the above questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Because of sheer demand for tilers in my area I have nobody here that is able to assist.
Unread 06-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #20
PhilWA

I just pushed the thin edge of the styrofoam guide up against the wall like you.
But, I used a tileable grate with my linear drain and my tile might be wider than intended because it hangs over the drain channel a bit at the back wall. If you're using another grate design, you may have to follow the step 2 of the channel body installation instructions: "For installation adjacent to the wall, the channel body must be aligned in accordance with the thickness of the wall covering."
Unread 06-02-2021, 01:59 AM   #21
otrex

Yes, I followed the directions and pushed the metal channel body as far back as it could go in the styrofoam base.

And yes, I have used the tileable cover in a previous bathroom and the tile itself covers all the way back to the wall as there is no flange in that type of drain. Instead they supply that black plastic strip and then you cut the tile so it sits on top of that giving a nice finished appearance.

In the end, I disliked the extra maintenance of the tileable grate option and so chose to use the plain metal option with this drain. But now we have this gap that does seem to fit the manufacturer's specifications exactly. And I'm not exactly using thin tile here either (though I wouldn't call it "thick" at .32").
Unread 06-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #22
PhilWA

Ahh sorry cant be of more help, good luck!

Last edited by PhilWA; 06-02-2021 at 10:23 AM.
PhilWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase