Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
nathist

seeping shower stall

Hi everyone,

I've got a shower stall (first time I haven't had a tub) and would appreciate any advice on how to deal with a couple of things. Thanks in advance for any advice!

For a few days, I've noticed the shower stays wet in a couple of small areas where the shower floor meets the wall. Yesterday, I followed up on this while dealing with some other maintenance and I noticed that the caulk sealing the base of the wall looked like it was pulling away from the wall in a few areas. I ended up peeling away the caulk to see what was happening and the grout behind was wet and seeping water, which is why the tile floor was wet. I'm trying to figure out how to proceed: is it just that the base of the shower needs to be re-caulked (after I clean the grout; looks like mildew is well established on parts of it, which are discolored, as in the corner join, which I peeled right up last night) or does the whole thing need to be re-grouted (and sealed) first? The grout is still damp this morning, maybe 12 hours after I peeled back the caulk so I'm wondering if there's more to it. I've added some pictures (001-003), and am about to start removing all the caulk (which looks pretty sloppy all round anyway).

And another question, because I took a good long look at the shower floor: parts of it are a bit discolored (pictures 005-006) and I'm wondering if it's time to get it all re-grouted (and replace the tiles? Is this going to be a big job? Sorry to sound like a newb: I was looking forward to having a shower stall rather than a tub as it sounded easier to clean but that isn't the case). Unfortunately, whoever installed the shower chose tiny impractical stone (?) tiles that trap water in the grout lines and make the shower really hard to dry.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
sandra
Attached Images

Unread 03-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sandra...by all appearances, there is water intrusion either/or from improper wall waterproofing and possibly from a compromised shower pan. As well as the floor/wall junctions, looks as though there is water seepage from the floor.

This can be from a compromised pan liner, clogged weep holes or generally just shoddy workmanship.

Difficult to diagnose as we don't know what method or materials were used in the construction. A good tile mechanic might be able to inspect and give you better answers...

Either way, I think there is some surgery in your future....the pan at a minimum and that generally includes the curb. There have been cases where the bottom couple of rows of tile have been removed and, if possible, tying in the waterproofing from the new pan to the walls...but the chances of this are pretty slim, IMHO as we don't know the method of waterproofing on the walls.

Most good tile pros would not go this route as "The last one that touches it, owns it."

I think a new shower is in your future... You might be able to remove and dry out the wall/floor caulk and reseal it with a silicone caulk and buy yourself a little time....but it's not the final answer.....

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you see the cost of hiring a amateur.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sandra.

I'd like to see a photo or two from farther back to give some perspective and to include the drain area.

How long have you owned this shower?

If you have wetness remaining at the floor/wall joints and not in the drain area, I would suspect the problem actually lies in the walls. My guess, with no more information than we have, which is not nearly enough, would be that the fairly large wall tiles were set without adequate bonding mortar coverage on the back of the tiles, allowing moisture to collect there and drain down to the floor. I'm further guessing that the walls were covered in a direct bonded waterproofing membrane when the shower was constructed.

In as much as the floor/wall joint was apparently grouted initially, I'm guessing the rather sloppy caulking job was to stop or cover up this wall draining phenomenon.

How's that for a completely ininformed WAG?

And the floor tiles, to my thinking, were a very well informed choice, providing lots of nice, rough grout joints between the tiles to provide better traction and prevent slip/fall dangers.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase