Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #151
KarenA01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyiammy
Are you amenable to making design changes at this point, Karen?
What are you thinking of? Not using tile on the floor?

If you mean moving fixtures I thought about that... If we need to move the plumbing and wires out of the way to fix the floor, moving fixtures likely would not a that much more expensive...

But unless we take down the wall to closet next the bathroom- which actually would make a more decent sized bathroom (61sf vs 47sf)- it does not make sense.

But we really can't afford the loss of the closet space.

- Karen
Unread 04-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #152
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
...would would you expect an estimate for the cost of repair to be included in the proposal?
I would expect at least a discussion of the problems and possibilities to ensue, Karen.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #153
KarenA01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I would expect at least a discussion of the problems and possibilities to ensue, Karen.
Thanks CX... Now I know to bring up the issues as i said back then I did not and I would expect a GC to talk about it if I bring it up.

In the more general case, would a good GC be expected to examine he flatness of the floor and look at easily visible joists in the basement during a pre-proposal examination of the project without prompting?

Many (most?) first time home owners likely would not know to worry about flatness or think about sagging joists (unless it was extreme of course!)

We did not even notice the dip in the bathroom floor until we looked for one!

Thanks
- Karen

Last edited by KarenA01; 04-18-2021 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added the last line
KarenA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #154
KarenA01

Tiling over tub tile flange.

I have a few question about two topics with respect to how tiling over the tub tile flange should be handled for a tub/shower alcove.

1) To maintain the same height of the grout line in the tub/Shower alcove area as for the tile wainscoting in the rest of the bathroom, there would only be between 1.4- 2.0 inches (depending on which tub) between the the top of the tub and the height the grout line should be. (The tiles we are planning on using are 8"X16" BTW)...

Would using such small slivers of tile be an issue for practical reasons over the flange?

2) I know the gap between the tub and the bottom of the tile should not be grouted as it would likely crack and most (but not all) say that one should use caulk...

But I have been reading on waterproofing and one way is to put 6mil poly vapor barrier behind the CBU and have it draped over the tile flange...

But then, if you caulk, the water that does get through the grout would go down the wall and collect there with no way out, no? Would that not be a place for mold to form?

The cure for that is supposedly to use a surface membrane... But would that not result in the same situation if ones caulks the bottom, albeit in a smaller space?

Also since one is supposed to use caulk for all change of plane situations, that would mean in the corners... But does not caulk eventually need to be removed and replaced, and in removing it would there not be a good chance of compromising the membrane and thus the waterproofing?

On another site: https://floorelf.com/answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor Elf
There should be a gap between your tub or acrylic shower base and the bottom of your backerboard. If you are using a traditional barrier waterproofing method you do not need to do anything with this gap. Do not fill it with silicone! This will trap moisture running down your barrier and it will have nowhere to go. If you are using a topical method you can fill it with silicone if you want. If you are using liquid you should fill it with silicone.
Following that advice, if using poly behind CBU, I would think one might want to use 1/16" spacers between the tub and bottom row of tile while tiling and at the end remove them and leave that 1/16" gap open...

So what is the best practice for this (the one that causes the least issues in the long run)?

Thanks,
- Karen

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase